Grecian pottery research earns professor national grants, inspires book

Megan Mcgurk

An ISU professor is receiving national attention for her work with ancient pottery.

Peggy Mook, assistant professor of foreign languages and literatures, is doing research on the Greek island of Crete to determine archaeological facts about pottery.

Mook said her work covers pottery from the end of the Bronze Age and the start of the Early Iron Age, which dates from 1200-650 B.C. She said she is interested in dating the material so it can be put into chronological order.

“Pottery changes over time and allows us to date things that don’t change so rapidly, like architecture,” she said.

The pottery can also explain production and exchange throughout the area because it was easily moved and traded, Mook said.

“Pottery was used for all kinds of containers,” she said. “There was no glass or plastic back then. Pottery was cheap, easy to make and move around.”

Mook has spent six or seven years in Crete doing research.

“The pottery is stored in Greece, so I have to go there,” she said.

Mook said she has taken about 15 students to Crete with her twice and plans to take a third group in May 2001.

“This all contributes to helping students look at their own culture,” she said.

David Gieseke, public relations manager for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said Mook received a $4,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and $5,900 from the American Philosophical Society this spring for her research.

Gieseke said both grants will help her finish her book, “The Kastro: The Late Minoan IIIC through Orientalizing Pottery.” Her work will include a CD-ROM.

Mook said the CD-ROM will be a useful tool because it will allow readers to see color images of the pottery.

“That’s something that’s really helpful when doing comparative studies,” she said.

She said Iowa State has supported her research by giving her grants, which has allowed her to pursue national grants, too.

“It’s great to get outside support, to know someone thinks my work should be published,” Mook said.

Mook said she will return to Greece this summer to continue her research.