GSB closes out year

Wendy Weiskircher

To wrap up their yearlong terms, the Government of the Student Body senators will debate and vote on 22 pieces of legislation tonight, including a resolution to extend free-speech zones to all of campus.

Currently, there are two designated free-speech zones on campus, areas west and south of the Hub, according to the resolution. The area west of the Hub, the Edward S. Allen Area of Free Debate, honors a former ISU math professor who was instrumental in founding the Iowa Civil Liberties Union.

“The administration would say [the designated areas] are for public safety and logistics reasons,” said Luke DeKoster, RCA. “It’s a lot more inconvenient for them to have unregulated free speech. Unfortunately, sometimes freedom is inconvenient for people in power.”

Students who wish to demonstrate publicly in other areas of campus must apply for a space and time through the Student Activities Office in room B6 of the Memorial Union, said Doug Miller, author of the resolution.

The campus is zoned according to whether students are allowed to make noise while demonstrating.

“The rationale of the university is that they don’t want to impede the educational atmosphere on campus,” said Miller, off campus. “They don’t want someone standing outside classrooms with a bullhorn.”

According to the resolution, “the Government of the Student Body supports the extension of these ‘Free Speech Areas’ to cover the entire Iowa State University campus.”

While the zones where demonstrators could not make a lot of noise would remain in effect, Miller said this resolution encourages the administration to recognize campuswide free speech.

“Basically, this is for the administration to send a more clear message to the students of what is free speech,” he said. “They can reaffirm their commitment to the freedom of speech on campus.”

The Government of the Student Body will meet tonight at 7 in the Gallery of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

Old business

* A bill to accept the Finance Committee’s recommendation for allocations to the Fisheries and Wildlife Biology organization, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance and Veishea. By Doorenbos, Herr and others.

* A funding bill to allocate $1,100 to Off-Campus and Adult Student Services for the translation of the Off-Campus Housing Guide into 15 languages. By Edmiston, Wisher and others.

* A funding bill to allocate $300 to the 2000 Journey of Hope in the name of participant Dave Adickes to support Push America, a program providing help to people with disabilities. By Ostanik and Skutnik.

* A bill to ratify the Student Union Board Contract for Student Office Space. By Olson and Wisher.

* A funding bill to allocate $10,000 to Veishea for the 2001 celebration. By Ostanik and Dlouhy.

* A bill to change Chapter 4 of the GSB bylaws to clarify the rules for efficiency, consistency and fairness. By Wisher, Olson and others.

* A bill to adopt forms for senate bills, senate orders and amendments. By Olson and Wisher.

* A bill to change Chapter 3 of the GSB bylaws to ensure the protection of rights and to avoid confusion. By Wisher, Olson and others.

* A bill to change Chapter 10 of the GSB bylaws to maintain consistency with the new Finance and Appointment Committee chapters. By Olson, Skutnik and others.

* A bill to change Chapter 11 of the GSB bylaws to comply with the Appointment Committee section of the constitution. By Wisher, Peterson and others.

* A bill to change Chapter 12 of the GSB bylaws to clarify the finance bylaws. By Wisher, Olson and others.

* A funding bill to allocate $2,000 to New Student Days 2000 to help buy folders for participants. By Tosaka.

* A funding bill to allocate $904 to the ISU Mock Trial Team to help pay for its trip to the national tournament. By Doorenbos.

* A bill to approve the allocation of student government activity fees for the 2000-2001 fiscal year. By Doorenbos, Herr and others.

* A bill to change Chapter 5 of the GSB bylaws so GSB senators may not serve as the highest executive officer or chairperson of their respective constituency council. By Tew, Cordaro and others.

* A resolution to support the ISU Computation Advisory Committee’s proposal for an increase in the student computer fee. By Cordaro and Tosaka.

* A resolution to request that local businesses do not use mass e-mail solicitation. By Ostanik, Dunham and others.

* A resolution to support the proposed Student Conduct Code. By Olson, Wisher and others.

* A resolution to endorse eight recommendations for action submitted to the GSB senate by the Committee for Review of the Catt Hall Controversy. By Ostanik.

* A resolution to commend the men’s and women’s basketball teams, the wrestling team and the gymnastics teams for their successful seasons. By Olson and Cordaro.

* A resolution to encourage the Student Handbook and the Student Organizations Resource Manual to include the acceptance of using water-soluble sidewalk chalk for written messages and announcements. By Miller and DeKoster.

* A resolution to extend designated free-speech areas to the entire ISU campus. By Miller and DeKoster.