Career Exploration Library offers help in choosing majors

Jacque Sondgeroth

Students can discover the opportunities available at the Career Exploration Library during today’s open house.

“The open house is an opportunity to see what the library has to offer so students feel comfortable using their services,” said Patricia Andersen, coordinator of Career Exploration Services. “We are trying to be friendly by celebrating with food, decorations and a good time.”

Martha Norton, coordinator of Peer Education for the library, said resource books, computers for exploration, handouts and refreshments will be on hand for the open house.

“The food is to reward them for coming,” she said. “I made cookies.”

Students also have an opportunity to visit with Walk-in Career Counselor Sandy Jensen. Walk-in counseling hours are Tuesdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Wednesdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. or by appointment.

The open house is scheduled prior to registration on purpose. Anderson said the reasoning behind that is to help students who are not sure where to find help.

“Oftentimes, people decide, ‘Oh, I don’t like what I’m studying,’ so this motivates them to explore their options,” Norton said.

This year’s open house shares the Veishea theme, “Today’s Dreams … Tomorrow’s Reality.”

“It seemed to fit the career decision-making process,” Norton said.

The theme is visible in the library’s decorations. Andersen said there are stars hidden in books, and anyone who discovers one will receive a prize.

Andersen said students visiting the library may use computers with Career Exploration programs and take practice exams. Handouts discussing major selection, finding careers complementing a major and compiling essays for graduate school applications are also among the services available.

There is no cost for the library’s services.

The library is located in Room 16 of Pearson Hall. The normal hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The open house will be held today from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.