Business attire pop-up shop gives new life to old clothes

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Items of clothing from the Business Attire Pop-Up Shop on Sept. 12, 2018. The event was created out of concerns students had about not having funding for business outfits to wear to interviews, business fairs and internships.

Macy Ott

Iowa State hosted its biannual pop-up shop to provide professional clothes for students 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday in LeBaron Hall.

The event showcased lightly used men’s and women’s clothes of all styles and sizes that were donated by campus faculty and community members.

The pop-up shops are coordinated by the multicultural liaison officers of each college who work to gather professional clothes for students at no cost.

“We usually try to have the pop-up shop prior to the career fair,” said Carmen Flagge, the multicultural liaison officer for the College of Human Sciences. “It gives students a chance to browse through business clothes and learn what is professional. The goal is to provide a fun environment and give students confidence for internships, interviews or conferences.”

The event was met with great enthusiasm from students and staff.

“I have 3 career fairs coming up that I’m getting ready for … and a girl can never have too many blazers,” said Lauren Brousseau, a sophomore in marketing.

The clothing at the event offered students new and unique pieces to add to their own business wardrobe.

“I’ve picked out a lot of clothing that is outside of my normal comfort zone and that will help me look professional for any event,” said Pam Moore, a sophomore in interior design.

With the career fairs quickly approaching, the pop-up shop served as a great opportunity for students in need of that final accessory.

“A friend recommended I come here for a new suit jacket. I’ll use these clothes for the career fair and any future opportunities,” said Christopher Remy, sophomore in industrial technology.

One of the goals of the pop-up shop was to create a fun and inclusive space for students to do some stress-free shopping right on campus. 

“It’s a good place for people to not feel any judgment,” said Monica Howard-Martin, multicultural liaison for the College of Veterinary Medicine. “We want to prepare students for professional events while also giving clothes new life.”

The pop-up shop also featured jewelry, ties, shoes and more professional business wear. Students had staff on scene helping them select the right pieces and making sure they fit correctly.

“Students have the opportunity to have conversations about what type of things go well together and what looks professional,” Flagge said.

Students will have another chance to pick up new business clothes Friday from 10 a.m to 2 p.m.