Travel agencies offer students packages to many popular spring break locations

Bridget Bailey

Next week, some ISU students will be breaking out their sunscreen, sandals and shorts for spring break 2000.

Ann Erickson of Adventure Travel, 1125 Sixth St., said spring break is the biggest travel sale for her company of any break during the year. It offers several packages for students who are planning trips for the spring break season.

“The sales vary from year to year, but spring break is generally the largest sale for us. Wherever they wanted to go, we generally had specials for them,” she said.

Erickson said the travel packages usually average less than $1,000.

“Cost depends on where they want to go and how much they are willing to spend on hotels and services,” she said.

Ashley Klemme of Council Travel, 2525 Lincoln Way, said time is of the essence in getting the ideal spring break trip reserved.

“Students usually start reserving trips around October to get the best availability and best price range. Trips go fast. Cancun and South Padre are usually the most popular,” she said.

Other companies also get involved in the spring break action in Ames. Flyers have been distributed at various locations around campus, with special offers for spring break 2000.

Council Travel offers plans from three separate companies that deal primarily with trips for this season. Mazatlan Express, Student Travel Services and Student Express distribute Flyers throughout campuses offering special trips for students.

Adam Chido of Student Travel Services also said Cancun is the most popular spring break location this year for the company.

“Cancun and other trips usually average around $750,” he said. “It is definitely the most popular.”