GSB senate to combat state budget proposals

Wendy Weiskircher

A resolution opposing a pending budget cut in the Iowa House of Representatives, which would take millions of dollars from the budgets of the three regent universities, will be introduced to the Government of the Student Body senate at tonight’s meeting.

According to the resolution, Iowa State would see a $2.6 million cut under the new budget, which was proposed by the House Appropriations Committee.

The regent universities “are vital for the success of our state and its citizens, as the three schools provide an educational foundation for over 65,000 students,” the resolution states.

The author of the resolution, Rick Cordaro, said the resolution is one of many efforts in the “campuswide campaign” against the pending budget cuts.

“We’ve been working on ways to stop it,” said Cordaro, UDA. “The only way for the Government of the Student Body to take a stand is to make a resolution.”

Cordaro said other efforts against the cuts include lobbying the legislators with e-mail and letters voicing student concerns.

Senators will be south of the Campanile today between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. with giant postcards expressing disapproval of the budget cuts. Students can sign the 3-by-5 cards, which will be sent to leaders of the Iowa House and Senate.

Some of the concerns of the senators, according to the resolution, include the possibility that the budget cuts could result in increased class sizes, reduced faculty and staff numbers, tuition increases and university program cuts.

The effects of the pending cuts could extend beyond students, the resolution states.

“The State of Iowa, which is feeling the pinch of the farm crisis, a lack of high-demand jobs and few opportunities for college graduates” also could be harmed by the cuts, according to the resolution.

GSB President Matt Craft said if the cuts are approved, Iowa State could see a double-digit increase in tuition for the 2001-2002 school year.

Iowa State has four main sources of income: the state, tuition, research and donations, Craft said.

“If Iowa State is going to see a decrease in one of those sources, obviously we’re going to make it up through another,” he said. “The more money we get from the state, the less we have to take in tuition.”

Cordaro said he realizes the student government resolution may not bring much leverage with the legislature, but it allows the students to take a stand.

“It is still our chance to voice our opinion,” he said.

GSB will meet tonight at 7 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

Old business

* A bill to amend the bylaws to change the way GSB allocates money from the Senate Discretionary Fund for the primary or sole benefit of the executive, judiciary or legislative branch of GSB. By Skutnik.

* A bill to add a bylaw so GSB money could not be used for the purchase of firearms, ammunition or any dangerous weapons that require a permit under the Iowa State Firearms Law. By Dunham.

* A bill to approve the Finance Committee recommendations for the 2000-2001 regular GSB allocations. By Doorenbos, Herr and others.

* A funding bill to allocate $1,261.88 from the Senate Discretionary Fund to the ISU Academic Quiz Team to help pay for the trip to the national tournament. By Demmer and Wisher.

New business

* A funding bill to allocate $700 from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Meteorology Department to help pay for its trip to the National Weather Association’s Severe Storms Conference. By Skutnik and Wisher.

* A funding bill to allocate $699 from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Mexican-American Young Achievers Society to help pay for its trip to the Midwest Hispanic Sportsfest Competition. By Pogge.

* A resolution to encourage state legislators to eliminate the educational budget cuts, proposed by the State of Iowa House of Representatives Appropriations Committee. By Cordaro, Wisher and others.