Students rally against budget cuts

Wendy Weiskircher

DES MOINES — Cheers and chants rang out on a chilly Tuesday morning as about 75 students from the three Iowa regent universities converged on the steps of the state capitol.

Students were there to rally against the proposed educational budget cut, which could strip millions of dollars from the three regent universities.

The budget cut, which was proposed by the House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, could force universities to cut faculty and staff, increase class sizes and cut educational programs, said opponents of the proposal.

In addition, the cut in state funding would result in a double-digit increase in tuition in 2001-2002, said Government of the Student Body President Matt Craft.

Holding banners and signs and sporting matching yellow T-shirts, the protesters voiced their concerns about the effects of the funding cuts with their chants and personal anecdotes.

“If they’re going to say no, they’re going to have to say it to our faces,” said Nicki Kirkwood, junior in global studies and economics from the University of Iowa. “The state needs to support us, or we’re heading — shh! — out of state.”

At the rally, and later in one-on-one conversations, students were able to tell the legislators how an increase in tuition would affect them personally.

“I come from a family of five kids and a single, working mom,” said Liesel Fischer, sophomore in communications from U of I. “In two years, we will all probably be at Iowa. This 12 percent increase is really going to hit our family hard.”

A press conference before the rally brought out the main platform of students’ concerns. The panel of student leaders explained the quality, affordability and accessibility of the regent universities and how the budget cuts would affect these areas.

Andy Stoll, vice president-elect for the U of I Student Government, said the expected tuition increase would add about $500 to in-state tuition and $1,000 to out-of-state tuition rates.

“It’s really going to damage the affordability, especially for students putting themselves through college,” he said.

University of Northern Iowa Student Government President Nick Arnold said the repercussions of the budget cuts would fall on all of Iowa, not just the college communities.

“Cutting funding is not an endearing trait to keep young Iowans in the state,” he said. “To cut funding to these universities is to cut the funding to all of Iowa, not just a bunch of college kids.”

Stoll added that the budget cuts could set a precedent for future slashes in educational funding.

“Iowans have always had education as a priority,” he said. “These cuts are exactly opposite to that. They are setting a dangerous trend. It’s going to send us scampering out of state, looking for affordable education.”

Craft said students understand state money is tight, but they want to keep education as a priority in the state.

“We want to remind them how important education is to Iowans,” he said. “Hopefully, they haven’t forgotten.”

Several representatives said they appreciated the students’ collective effort.

“This is what you need to do,” said Polly Budka, D-Clinton. “We know why you’re here, and we need to do something about it.”

If the current budget proposal is approved by the House, it will be vetoed by Gov. Tom Vilsack, said Lt. Governor Sally Pederson.

“He has said that in its current form, he will not sign [the budget],” she said. “What gives us strength in the negotiation is when the public makes their wishes known. A personal story is the most effective story.”

Protesters said students are concerned with more than digging deeper into their pockets to pay for college.

“The class sizes are the biggest thing,” said Rebecca Rottinghaus, freshman in political science from UNI. “I think our legislators have gotten too far away from their constituents to realize how much it affects the states.”

Katie Greiman, GSB disabilities senator, said the issue of class sizes has been overlooked in the campaign against the budget cuts.

“With increased tuition, we get bigger class sizes,” said Greiman, who is 80 percent deaf and uses a hearing aid. “That’s going to make it harder on me to understand what the teacher is saying and what I’m supposed to be learning.”

Rep. Rosemary Thomson, R-Marion, said the emphasis on education is a non-issue, because state-funded organizations across the board are feeling the strain of the cuts.

“Of course I’m going to keep higher education alive, but I’m not going to break the bank,” she said. “The whole state is going to be involved. Everyone is taking their hits with this bill because we have to keep a budget. The revenues aren’t there.”

Thomson said education remains a priority in the state Legislature, and Iowa students still pay less than students at regent schools in other states.

“Even if they do have to raise tuition a little bit, and I would certainly never support 12 percent at one time, you’re still getting a pretty good deal,” she said.

Dennis Parmenter, D-Story County, said he was concerned with the magnitude of the budget cuts.

“I understand Republican concern about the budget,” he said. “There is only so many dollars. It’s all a matter of priority.”

Parmenter, who represents the south half of Ames, said he thinks some representatives are trying to disguise the cuts.

“What upsets me the most, frankly, is that when they reorganize the budget and say there’s no cut. There is a cut,” he said.

While the House remains split on the issue, students are left to plan their next action, which GSB President-elect Ben Golding said may include another rally.