CFCS showcases programs

Jenny Joanning

For the first time, the Student Services faculty in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is having an open house to get acquainted with one another and to showcase what they have to offer FCS students.

The event will be held today from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in various rooms of MacKay Hall.

Lee Ann Davis, FCS minority coordinator, said the open house will help the faculty work together. She said she sometimes talks to other faculty members on the phone without even knowing the person on the other end of the line.

“This gives them an opportunity to meet us and put a face to our names,” Davis said. “It’s more personal than just sending someone to our office.”

Bev Kruempel, director of FCS undergraduate services, said faculty members first came up with the idea because they wanted new faculty to meet those in Student Services. In the end, they decided to open up the event to all FCS faculty.

The open house is “progressive” since visitors move from room to room in MacKay Hall, getting a portion of their meal in each room.

It starts in Room 27 of MacKay Hall, where participants meet faculty in that office and will receive a plate and utensils.

They will proceed to Room 124 to meet more Student Services staff and will receive a cup and a handout about the programs it offers. The open house ends in Room 131, where visitors will get food and meet the rest of the faculty.

There also will be a tour of the Career Resource Center located in MacKay Hall, where sample r‚sum‚s, information on employers and books on job searches are available.

Darlene Fratzke, FCS outreach coordinator, will be in the second room the attendees will visit along with four other Student Services faculty members.

She said the open house will give the other FCS faculty a better idea of what each room has to offer students.

“We all work together, and they’ll be able to see how that flows,” Davis said.