Golding, Dlouhy ready to work

Wendy Weiskircher

Although it’s been less than a week since Ben Golding and Lisa Dlouhy won the Government of the Student Body executive race, the two have already put some of their plans into action.

President-elect Golding, senior in construction engineering from Cedar Rapids, and Vice President-elect Dlouhy, junior in genetics from Bettendorf, are acting on their campaign promises to create continuity in GSB, develop a system for online teacher evaluations and reach out to students.

“We’re going to sit down, collect our thoughts and figure out life after campaigning,” Dlouhy said.

The two have already planned a meeting with members of the ISU administration and the current GSB executives, President Matt Craft and Vice President Garrett Toay.

Golding said that by getting input from past and current GSB leaders, as well as the new senators and cabinet, a continuity can be created in student government through a strategic plan.

“One of my big goals is to start working on the strategic plan by the end of the year,” Golding said. “I’d really like to see the past presidents involved. They’ve been very open and helpful.”

While developing the plan is a high priority, Golding said presenting the plan to other student leaders would bring valuable insight.

“More importantly, it involves presenting it in raw form to the cabinet, senate and executive council and seeing what they think,” he said.

The second goal of the Golding-Dlouhy campaign was to increase faculty accountability to the students by putting teacher evaluations online. Golding said he has already spoken with members of the Faculty Senate, and he hopes to start work on the project soon.

“I think we’ll take it in steps and see how each part works,” Golding said. “We want to have the evaluations at the end of this semester available for students to register for classes for next spring.”

He said the information provided for the students would be “quantitative,” using numbers and percentages from the student evaluations. To get the information for the online evaluations, Golding said he would work with the departments to write the questions for the surveys.

“I can see that happening for next fall,” he said. “That’s not unreasonable — we would have the whole summer to go through the evaluations.”

Throughout the campaign, the candidates all focused on getting students involved and reaching out to the student population.

“We want to be visible to the students,” Dlouhy said. “That means attending organization meetings, floor meetings, house meetings and events that we fund.”

By reaching out to the students, the two hope to increase interest and participation in GSB. “We’d love to see students get involved in student government, even if it is on a different level,” Dlouhy said.

One way to get involved, Golding noted, is by applying for a GSB cabinet position.

“I think the first step is going to be putting together a good cabinet,” he said. “That is an open invite for every student to apply for a cabinet position.”

Both candidates said input from the students is vital for them to be successful leaders.

“Get involved, seek us out and hold us accountable,” Dlouhy said.