GSB to vote on bill restricting allocations for its own purposes

Wendy Weiskircher

After taking a week to consider a bill that would change the way the Government of the Student Body allocates money to itself, senators will vote at their meeting tonight to determine the fate of the resolution.

Currently, all allocations from the Senate Discretionary Account require a simple-majority vote in the senate to be approved. If passed, this bill would change the bylaws to require two-thirds of senate approval for allocations from the Discretionary Account “for the primary and/or sole benefit of the GSB.”

“Basically, GSB is a GSB-funded group,” said Jonathon Weaver, author of the bill. “No other GSB-funded organization comes back seven or eight times a year asking for money.”

According to the bill, GSB has allocated $11,500 in supplemental funds from the Discretionary and Special Projects account, in addition to the budgeted money.

“GSB gets into the habit of giving itself money without thinking much about it,” said Weaver, Towers Residence Association. “This will make more people think about it.”

The bill was debated last week before the senators decided to postpone the vote. The biggest concern brought up during the discussion was that, according to the GSB constitution, “All students are members of GSB.”

Therefore, senators pointed out, all allocations GSB makes for its own purposes also benefit ISU students, and the student groups who receive GSB money are part of GSB.

In addition, President Matt Craft pointed out that GSB gets supplemental funds through the Discretionary Account because the alternative, getting money through the Finance Committee funding process, would affect the financing of other student groups.

“If this would pass, GSB may request more money through the Finance Committee, which would have a much greater effect on other organizations,” he said.

Craft added that GSB has never had to cut student money from the Discretionary Account because of financial limitations.

The Government of the Student Body will meet tonight at 7 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

Old business

* A bill to change the way GSB allocates money from the Senate Discretionary Fund for its own purposes. By Weaver, Rohlfing and others.

* A bill to adopt the new GSB logo. By Pogge, Wisher and others.

* A funding bill to allocate money to the ISU men’s hockey team. By Tew.

New business

* A funding bill to allocate $1,500 to the Cyclone Wing Honor Guard and Drill Team for new equipment. By Wisher, Weaver and others.

* A funding bill to appropriate $39,407.95 from the GSB Van Administration account to purchase two vans. By Johnson, Olson and others.

* A funding bill to allocate $626 to Phi Alpha Theta, a history honors society, to go toward the costs of hosting the society’s Iowa regional conference. By Medanic and Skutnik.

* A funding bill to allocate $2,201.12 to the ISU Ski and Snowboard Club to help pay for its trip to the United States of America Snowboard Association national competition. By Dlouhy, Dunham and others.

* A resolution from a committee with the Student Recreation Center and the Sports Club Council to investigate the way student fees are allocated to the SRC and SCC through the GSB spring allocation process. By Medanic, Tofilon and others.