Race on for GSB president

Wendy Weiskircher

With just one week left before the Government of the Student Body elections, the candidates are blazing the campaign trail in full force.

Although campus is plastered with candidates’ posters and fliers, executive candidates said talking to students is the most important part of campaigning.

“You can put up as many posters and fliers as you want, but the personal connection is what is going to matter later on,” said Ben Golding, presidential candidate.

His running mate, Lisa Dlouhy, said most of their campaigning time and effort is dedicated to visiting student groups.

“Student voice is the biggest chunk of our platform,” Dlouhy said. “When we go, we really stress the fact that this is not the only time they are going to see us. We want their ideas and comments because we are coming right back, if we get elected, to find out what issues we need to cover right off the bat.”

Presidential hopeful Rick Cordaro, who is running with Alex Olson in the executive race, said the purpose of their campaign is to spread firsthand information.

“Personally, I think campaigning is important because it lets everyone know where each candidate stands on the issues,” he said. “The information is out there. It’s all on our Web site, but they need to hear it from the candidate.”

While the objective may be to gain support, candidates said that is only one aspect.

“Honestly, the most important thing for us is not to get votes but to get people to vote, to really look at all the candidates,” said Luke Howell, vice-presidential candidate.

Howell and presidential candidate Wendell Mosby decided to wait a week to campaign.

“We don’t want people to get tired of hearing about ‘Wendell and Luke,'” he said. “We want to campaign all at once. Our main goal is to get 5,000 people to vote.”

Matt Welk and Kara Ladlie have added a twist to their campaign.

“The main thing in our campaign is our T-shirts,” said Welk, presidential candidate. “We have people constantly asking us to give them T-shirts, and we really wish we could, but we’re all out.”

The slate also has tried to talk to as many students as possible, said Ladlie, vice-presidential candidate.

“Our goal in campaigning is to let the students get knowledge of all the candidates so they can pick the one who represents them the best,” she said.