Portrayal of first lady topic of forum

Bridget Bailey

With Hillary Rodham Clinton’s official announcement that she’s running for the New York Senate seat, some people have been discussing the political roles of first ladies.

ISU students will have an opportunity today to talk about these roles with “Mrs. President: How First Ladies have been Portrayed by the Media,” an event sponsored by the Ames-ISU YWCA. It will be held from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 236 of the Memorial Union.

Dianne Bystrom, director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, will discuss the first ladies’ presence in the public eye.

Judy Dolphin, Ames-ISU YWCA director, said organizers wanted to bring attention to the media’s treatment of first ladies.

“The event is mainly focused towards how media can negatively focus on the families and wives of the presidents, and how that may give the public a false view of them,” she said.

Bystrom, featured speaker for the event, said the duties of the first lady have evolved over time, and she plans to focus on the varying stereotypes attached to being the president’s wife. Media coverage may slant public opinion and expectations, and Bystrom said she intends to explain this trend.

Bystrom said the discussion and lecture will be beneficial to ISU students.

“During this election season, it is important to educate this campus about the first lady’s expectations, as this is a timely topic. We may even discuss a male’s role in that position, as it is a possibility now,” she said.

Dolphin agreed that the topic is important, and she said students should realize the importance the media plays in the election process.

“When Hillary Rodham Clinton became interested in developing health-care roles, she was highly criticized for taking a role that she was not assigned to,” she said. “We need to focus on how the media projects the first lady.”