GSB presidential candidates face off again during debate

Wendy Weiskircher

Four candidates vying for the Government of the Student Body presidency faced off in a debate Tuesday at the Memorial Union.

The executive slates faced-off last week, but this was the first debate among only the presidential candidates.

Current GSB President Matt Craft and Finance Director Jeremy Williams moderated the debate in front of a crowd of about 30 people.

In addition to questions about current university issues, the candidates were asked about specific points of their campaigns.

To open the debate, the candidates were asked why they would vote for themselves.

“I would vote for myself based on the pure merit of being the only complete candidate on the ballot,” said Wendell Mosby, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production. “I’m an involved student, and I consider myself to be very effective as a leader.”

Matt Welk, sophomore in agricultural education, said he would bring his lifelong love of Iowa State as well as a “fresh perspective” to GSB.

“I’ve been a Cyclone since the day I was born,” Welk said. “… I can bring a new perspective to show all the good things about Iowa State and things that need improvement.”

Ben Golding, senior in construction engineering, said the slate, not the individual, is the most important thing.

“It’s Ben and Lisa,” he said, referring to his running mate Lisa Dlouhy. “We bring in perspective from all areas of campus. We have the experience in GSB and experience with Iowa State students.”

Rick Cordaro, junior in electrical engineering, said his stance on the current issues and his experience in GSB backs his run for the presidency.

“I believe we have a solid platform,” he said. “You need someone you can trust to deal with the issues. I have proven myself time and time again.”

With the future of the Memorial Union in jeopardy, the candidates discussed the possibility of the university taking control of the building. All of the presidential candidates said the students should have control of the MU.

“It is inevitable that the university will take control of the Union,” Welk said. “We think there is a bright future for the Union if the students have control.”

Cordaro introduced the idea of a joint administration and student board for the MU.

“We need to work with the administration,” he said. “We want to make sure our voices are heard.”

The candidates also addressed the faculty-issued petition in circulation requesting an evaluation of ISU President Martin Jischke.

“I am all for the petition,” Mosby said. “There is a lot of merit in the fear and repression coming down from President Jischke. We should not work for President Jischke. He should work for us.”

Golding said the students need to hold the administration accountable.

“Iowa State University is not a business,” he said. “It is a university, and we need to hold our leaders accountable.”

He added that the university needs to find a balance between teaching and research, “and we need to do it right away.”

The candidates were asked what they would do as GSB president if they could only do one thing.

In relation to his theme of holding the faculty and administration accountable to the students, Golding said he would work to have teacher evaluations online for student access.

As a senator, Cordaro pushed to transfer polling for the GSB elections to the Internet. As GSB president, he said he would follow through on his efforts to bring electronic voting to Iowa State.

“It’s important that you get out and vote,” he said. “Voting is everyone’s right; it’s not a privilege. Electronic voting allows students from all over to vote at any time.”

Mosby said his purpose would be to restore faith in GSB.

“That’s why students don’t come to vote,” he said. “Students don’t believe in GSB. We need effective, not strong, leadership to bring the respect back.”

Welk said he would push for an intercultural center in the MU to bring students together.

“All students could come together to an open and accepting environment to talk about their cultures,” he said.

In closing, each candidate addressed the audience.

“The students at Iowa State need a change,” Mosby said. “We need a more innovative direction to improve upon what is already there.”

Welk commented on the recurring issue of his lack of GSB experience.

“If [running mate] Kara [Ladlie] and I weren’t totally confident in our ability to do this job, we wouldn’t be here. But we can do it, and we will do it,” he said. “We need good, strong, positive leadership for GSB.”

Golding said the development of a strategic plan with all branches of student government would strengthen the student voice at Iowa State.

“We want to change the mentality and create a continuity so that everyday students are comfortable coming to us,” he said.

Cordaro said his experience as a GSB senator has laid the foundation of his bid for the presidency.

“This is an important year for students,” he said. “I’m going to stand on my experience and go a step further.”

The final debate, which will include both the candidates for GSB president and vice president, will be held Thursday at noon in the Memorial Union.