GSB votes down no-hats proposal

Wendy Weiskircher

Senators voted down a bill to set a new no-hat policy for Government of the Student Body meetings Wednesday night.

The bill, which would have banned senators from wearing hats indoors during senate meetings to increase respect for senators and gallery members, was defeated 13-18. Two senators abstained from voting.

“I think this is like attacking a housefly with a machine gun,” said Christian Edmiston, graduate. “I think this is going about it the wrong way.”

The aim of the proposed hat ban was to increase respect in the senate meetings, said Jeremy Peterson, author of the bill.

“I’m not trying to impose a dress code,” said Peterson, business. “This is more of an etiquette thing, to show respect for the student body.”

Students who attend GSB meetings may consider senators who wear hats “apathetic,” said Jessica Rohlfing, Panhellenic.

“A first impression goes a long way,” she said.

However, senate opposition to the bill overcame its support.

“I think it is important to keep meetings lighthearted and fun,” said Wade Demmer, RCA. “I see respecting senate freedom to wear their hats as much more important.”

The hat ban may have actually hurt the impression GSB conveys to the student body, said Andrew Kothenbeutel, TRA.

“If we make ourselves more formal and distant, it will hurt our image,” he said. “This would be the only place on campus where we couldn’t wear hats, and it would be enforced.”

In addition, senators argued, respect should not be earned based on accessories.

“If people are going to give me less respect because I wear a hat, does that reflect real well on them?” Edmiston asked.

The vote was called three times before debate was ended, and the prevailing opposition defeated the bill.

“If our hats are speaking louder than our actions, we aren’t doing much,” Skutnik said.