‘New ideas’ for GSB touted by Welk, Ladlie

Wendy Weiskircher

Editor’s Note: This is the fourth of a four-part series to inform the students of Iowa State about the candidates in the Government of the Student Body executive race.

In the executive race for Government of the Student Body president and vice-president offices, there is only one slate with no GSB experience. But with that inexperience, they say, comes a fresh perspective of student government at Iowa State.

Matt Welk, sophomore in agricultural business and agricultural education, is one of the four candidates vying for the GSB-president position. Welk, originally from Muscatine, is the Resident Assistant on Cassell House in Welch Hall.

His running mate, Kara Ladlie, junior in agricultural education, is an RA on Busse House in Freeman Hall. Ladlie, a native of Albert Lea, Minn., is on the ballot for vice president.

Although the Welk/Ladlie slate brings no GSB experience to the race, they see that as advantageous in their situation.

“Kara and I have never been involved in GSB on campus, but we kind of feel that is one of our positives,” Welk said. “We have a new perspective and new ideas, not necessarily the things that have been going through year after year.”

As RAs, the candidates said their daily contact with ISU students gives them an edge over the competition.

“We see all the issues that students care about every day,” Ladlie said. “That is something Matt and I can bring to GSB.”

Welk and Ladlie, however, are no strangers to leadership roles.

“Kara and I are both involved in FFA, which is another leadership organization, and we are both RAs, so we’re always looking for new leadership opportunities,” Welk said.

With the elections being held next week, campaigning is in full swing. Welk and Ladlie have focused on two issues they feel are important: equality of representation and increased awareness of GSB.

“We want to have equality of representation for everyone because we don’t feel like that is happening right now, particularly for minority students and the greek system,” Welk said. “We’d like to see them have a stronger voice on GSB.”

Welk pointed out that both genders are represented by their slate, giving them more insight into student needs.

“When I was looking for a running mate, I thought that was very important,” Welk said. “We believe in equality for everyone on campus.”

Increasing student awareness of GSB is an across-the-board concern for executive candidates.

“The most common question we were asked when we were getting signatures [for the petition] was, ‘What is GSB?'” Welk said. “We feel that if that’s the question that’s being asked, then GSB isn’t doing what it’s supposed to be doing.”

A remedy to the widespread ignorance of GSB on campus is to reach out to students, Welk said.

“I think it’s pretty obvious that students aren’t going to seek us out,” he said. “Kara and I feel it is important to go out and ask people how they feel about certain things.”

The teamwork of the slate is an important advantage, Ladlie said.

“The president and the vice president are a team,” she said. “Matt and I work very well together.”

Welk added that different perspectives and similar leadership styles enhance the cooperation between the slate members.

“Even though we’re on the same ticket doesn’t mean we have the same perspectives on everything,” he said. “We both believe in finding out what the members want and helping them get it. I think that’s a very good thing to have in a pair of candidates.”

Open-mindedness, Welk said, is a key to being a good president.

“Someone who wants to lead people shouldn’t go in with a bunch of preconceived notions of what needs to be done,” he said. “Someone who is going to lead needs to ask the people what they want, not tell them what they want.”

Welk and Ladlie said they want to build on the ideas of this year’s senate, especially the idea of online voting.

“I really respect the senators who are there now because they seem to be very passionate when they get involved with an issue,” Welk said. “I think it’s very positive that they are interested and involved, and they care about who is running this organization.”

Spreading his love of Iowa State to other students is a main goal for Welk.

“Ever since I was born, I have been a Cyclone fan, and I really love Iowa State,” he said. “I’ve always been looking for ways to get involved and for everyone to have as positive a view of Iowa State as I do.”