Dorm residents prepare for semiformal tonight

Bridget Bailey

ISU students have a chance tonight to escape the stresses of studying and show off their dancing skills at the 2000 Residence Hall Semiformal.

The dance will begin at 8 p.m. and last until midnight in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The three residence hall associations — the Union Drive Association, Richardson Court Association and the Towers Residence Association — will sponsor the evening of dancing for all residents of ISU dormitories.

Steve Medanic, social chair for the formal, said everyone from the dorms is welcome to attend the event.

“You can expect a good time, with lots of popular music and dancing,” he said.

Salsa and dance lessons will be offered at 7 the night of the event for those who wish to acquire new steps for their dancing repertoire.

“We encourage students to attend and to take advantage of the lessons offered beforehand,” said Nathan Ohrt, RCA president.

Paul Gormley of DJD Light and Sound will be the DJ for the dance, and he will spin everything from swing and salsa to top-40 hits throughout the evening.

Bus transportation will be provided continuously from 6:45 p.m. until 12:45 a.m. from the residence associations to the dance. A professional photographer also will be attending the dance to snap photos of the formal.

Ohrt said he expects about 250 students to attend from the various dormitories.

He said students can look forward to a fun event, and he encourages attendance.

“Anyone in the residence halls is welcome to attend,” Ohrt said. “It should be a lot of fun and a great time.”