Slates for GSB election wrangle over tuition, compensation at debate

Wendy Weiskircher

The four executive slates running for Government of the Student Body president and vice president continued along the campaign trail Wednesday afternoon with appearances at the first executive debate.

GSB senators and interested students heard the eight executive candidates voice their opinions and ideas about several hot issues around campus.

The president/vice president slates include: Wendell Mosby and Lucas Howell; Matt Welk and Kara Ladlie; Rick Cordaro and Alex Olson; and Ben Golding and Lisa Dlouhy.

The separation of student fees from tuition, which was approved for the University of Iowa by the Board of Regents last fall, was a main focus of the debate.

Cordaro, junior in electrical engineering, said the separation of fees and tuition would result in students paying a total increase of more than 14 percent.

“We’ve already run the numbers,” he said. “It would bring in about $7 million for the first year. We want to work with the administration to make sure the money is spent on students.”

Welk, sophomore in agricultural education, said an increase in tuition is inevitable, so students should use the services their fees fund.

“Tuition is going to rise. That’s the trend,” he said. “Most students don’t realize all they get from paying their tuition and fees. Yes, it’s a financial burden to go to college, but our main job should be to point out how students can use the services effectively.”

Golding, senior in construction engineering, said students should rally against increased tuition.

“It’s not good for you. It’s not something we need,” he said. “We will fight it.”

Mosby, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, said there are benefits to a separate student fees system.

“Students would know where their money goes,” he said. “They would see how much of their money goes to GSB. You would see more student involvement in GSB.”

He added that the amount of financial aid given to students should be increased to balance the growing price tag on a college education.

Another issue under fire is whether GSB executive slates should receive partial reimbursement for the money spent campaigning.

The Cordaro-Olson slate has already decided not to accept any compensation for the money it spends campaigning. “That is student money,” Cordaro said. “It should go to student groups.”

While the other three slates have not decided whether they will accept reimbursement, the slates stand divided on the issue.

“If you want to run for GSB president, you know you are going to need some money,” Mosby said. “We haven’t discussed it yet, but I don’t think we will [reimburse slates], and I don’t think anyone should.”

However, the other two slates said the compensation makes the election open to anyone.

“We think this is one of the soundest rules in the election code,” Welk said. “Accepted or not, it allows every student at Iowa State to run for GSB.”

Other GSB issues, such as its service to the students, student participation and outreach to minority groups were discussed.

“We need to get out and talk to students,” said Dlouhy, junior in genetics. “We need to be out, be seen and show them you care.”

Olson, sophomore in agricultural business, said minority students need to have equal representation on GSB.

“Every student needs to have this voice,” he said. “We’re here for everyone.”

Howell, junior in political science, said GSB has many responsibilities besides financial assistance to students.

“We are the voice for the concerns of the students,” he said. “They need to know this is their connection.”

Ladlie, junior in agricultural education, stressed that GSB cannot expect students to come to them.

“I think it is really important that GSB go to the students,” she said. “We would like to spread more knowledge of representation.”

Two debates remain before the three-day election period on Feb. 28, 29 and March 1. Both the presidential debate Feb. 22 and an executive debate Feb. 24 will start at noon in the Memorial Union.