Many ag students value 4-H, FFA

Justin Petersen

College of Agriculture students may have more in common with their peers than simply occupational interests.

According to a study done by ISU Agricultural Education and Studies released in January, the 4-H and Future Farmers of America (FFA) programs are a common thread that link many students within the college together.

The survey of new students entering the college showed that 53 percent have been in 4-H, and 72 percent have been in FFA.

The 4-H program is a national youth organization that involves young people in agriculture and other areas of interest such as home economics and crafts, while FFA involves high school students in all aspects of agriculture.

“Students in these programs know so many people from going to conferences and other events,” said Barb Osborn, horticulture program coordinator. “When they get to college, they often know many other students already. I think this helps make the transition easier.”

Jason Steele, senior in animal science and agronomy, said the programs helped him make the transition from high school to college.

“You learn to be responsible. When you are on your own, you use the skills you learned, such as time management and organization, even if you don’t realize it,” said Steele, vice president of the ISU 4-H Club.

Students are able to get involved in 4-H as early as 8 years old. They can be in FFA for the duration of their high school career until they turn 21.

Over this course of time, students can learn skills that some said eventually guide their everyday life.

“I would contribute both 4-H and FFA with helping me to keep better records and being responsible, especially when it comes to agriculture,” said Laurie Denniston, senior in agricultural education and animal science.

Denniston, president of the ISU FFA Club, also said the programs have greatly boosted her confidence in public speaking.

Scott Dirkx, senior in agricultural education, graduated from St. Mary’s High School in Storm Lake in a class of only 16 students. His school was too small to offer an FFA program.

“I sometimes wish I would have had the opportunity to be in FFA,” Dirkx said. “Those who are in it may not realize that they take it for granted. When I hear others who were in FFA talking about all the award opportunities that they had, I kind of feel left out.”

Dirkx said he’s glad that he was in 4-H, though. He enjoyed doing small projects such as cleaning up different areas of his town.

“Rather than just being able to say ‘I was in 4-H,’ I was in it to make a difference in my community,” he said.

Osborn, who judges at the FFA horticulture career event at its national conference, said he believes students who have been in 4-H or FFA enter the College of Agriculture more confident of their career focus and are less likely to switch majors.

“These programs help students in agriculture at an early age,” Osborn said. “It almost serves as a job test. They do things in many ag areas and find out whether they want to continue in an ag career or not.”