Photography competition open to all ISU students

Rua Pokladnik

The Student Union Board and the Memorial Union will be hosting the Tri-County Collegiate Print and Photo Showcase. The exhibit will be on display in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union from Feb. 22 through March 28.

This is the first year the show has been open to students outside of Iowa State.

“We’ve done the print and photo [show] before and just invited the Iowa State community,” said Theresa Cannon, program advisor of the arts at the Memorial Union.

Students from Drake University, Grandview College, Marshalltown Community College and Des Moines Community College have also been invited to enter the show.

Cannon said there were a few reasons for increasing eligibility.

“What we’re hoping to do with this show is to make it more competitive and so that it is quite an honor to be accepted,” Cannon said. “Therefore it would be a good resume builder for the students. In order to make it a little more competitive, we wanted to invite other schools and we thought, too, that it would benefit the students to see what other programs are doing as well.”

Each participant can submit up to three works of art, including print and/or photography.

Submitted work must either be framed or matted to be considered for the show.

Framed artwork needs to have glass or plexiglass as a protective covering and an attached secure hanging wire.

Unframed work needs to be matted, backed with foamcore and wrapped with acetate.

In addition to appearance, security guidelines must also be considered.

Each piece must have a surface or device which can be attached to an alarm wire.

The deadline for the show is Sunday, Feb. 20. Entries can be delivered to the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

For further information, Theresa Cannon can be reached at (515) 294-0971.