Student leaders not sure about petition

Wendy Weiskircher

The faculty petition asking for the state Board of Regents to evaluate ISU President Martin Jischke caught many student leaders by surprise.

The petition, which was written and distributed by faculty members and an ISU alumnus, expresses disapproval of Jischke’s performance as university president. It was released Tuesday and is circulating around campus and throughout the state.

“For a variety of reasons, we are dissatisfied with Martin Jischke’s performance as President of Iowa State University, and we request that the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, review the situation and take appropriate actions,” states the petition.

Neither the Government of the Student Body nor the Graduate Student Senate have formally discussed the petition, which claims the ISU administration is responsible for creating “a climate of fear and repression.”

The GSS representatives who were contacted refused comment until they have had a chance to discuss the issue among themselves.

“This is the most formal voice of frustration I have heard since I have been here,” said GSB President Matt Craft. “Faculty frustrations are different from student frustrations.”

GSB action in response to the petition is not definite but expected, said Jonathon Weaver, TRA.

“GSB has had a very active year,” he said. “I find it very unlikely that anything this big will go unnoticed.”

Several GSB senators said the petition came as a shock.

“I thought it was an abrupt surprise,” said Steve Skutnik, LAS. “It has always been kind of an urban legend on campus. Dr. Jischke has proven himself to be a strong leader, but I didn’t see this coming.”

Senators said they knew of no serious faculty discontent to foreshadow the petition.

“I was surprised,” said Stewart Dunham, off campus. “I have never heard any dismay from the faculty, but I’m sure they have a reason.”

However, as a representative of the student body, Weaver said he has heard a lot of student discontent with the administration.

“You don’t hear a lot about when people are happy with their president,” he said. “I have heard a lot of people who are unhappy [with the administration] in general, in relative context to certain issues.”

Both Craft and GSB Vice President Garrett Toay can view the situation from a leader’s stance.

“Conflict is inevitable,” Craft said. “At a campus this large, there will always be people who aren’t satisfied, no matter what you do.”

Some senators support the faculty’s petition, based on the fact that administration should undergo the same evaluation as the faculty.

“I think we should hold our leaders accountable,” said Ricky Cordaro, UDA. “If [Jischke] is doing the right things, an evaluation isn’t going to hurt him at all.”

Cordaro said his support of the petition is not based on disapproval of Jischke, as the petition says.

“Dr. Jischke works hard; he’s one of the best presidents in the Big 12, and he knows how to run the show,” he said. “He’s a smart guy.”

The faculty also expressed its concern with the priority of education at Iowa State in the petition. It states, “many faculty and other concerned individuals are dissatisfied with the declining importance of undergraduate education and teaching.”

However, Toay said education and research go “hand in hand.”

“I’ve been here for four years, and what people don’t realize is that for a state-of-the-art education, you need state-of-the-art research,” he said. “It comes with the territory.”

GSB members questioned the merit of the claim that the administration is responsible for a repressive climate at Iowa State.

“I have never felt that way, although other GSB presidents and vice presidents may have,” Toay said. “Dr. Jischke has always treated us with the utmost respect.”

However, Cordaro said the view from a student’s perspective does not match the view from the perspective of the faculty.

“I’m not afraid of Jischke, but I don’t work for him,” Cordaro said. “He can’t fire me.”

Senators said they would have to think more about the petition before they would sign it.

“It is something I would consider, but it would take a lot of thought,” Skutnik said.