Seven slates signed up in race for GSB president, vice president

Wendy Weiskircher

Although numbers from last year’s Government of the Student Body general elections were less than impressive, election officials say the number of potential candidates for this year’s race points to an increase in student interest.

Competition in the executive race, in which a candidate for president and a candidate for vice president run together as a slate, is high, with seven potential slates scheduled at press time to run.

Executive slates need 2,000 signatures of registered ISU students to earn a position on the election ballot.

In the senate race, 41 openings are being sought by 63 potential candidates. Of the 21 senate races for college, residence and special seats, 15 are already contested.

Michel Pogge, GSB election commissioner, said he hopes the higher numbers will draw more student voters to the polls.

“It’s the friend factor,” he said. “Each person has at least 15 to 20 friends who will go out and vote.”

The most contested race is for the Liberal Arts and Science seats. Twelve potential candidates will compete for four open LAS seats.

Senate candidates need 100 petition signatures to earn a spot on the ballot. Completed petitions are due to the GSB office, located in the East Student Office Space, by Feb. 11.

Pogge said students interested in running for GSB may contact him at the GSB office. Candidates must file a statement of intent in order to receive a petition, and the petition will be given 24 hours after the statement is turned in.

According to the candidate list compiled by the election commission, six executive slates have filed statements of intent.

Slates include:

— Scott Berscheid, junior in pre-business, for president, and Kevin Bell, junior in sociology, for vice president;

— Rick Cordaro, junior in electrical engineering, and Alex Olson, sophomore in agricultural business;

— Ben Golding, senior in construction engineering, and Lisa Dlouhy, sophomore in genetics;

— Wendell Mosby, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, and Lucas Howell, junior in political science;

— Bryan Nichols, junior in biology, and Elton Wong, senior in biology; and

— Matt Welk, sophomore in agricultural education, and Kara Ladlie, junior in agricultural education.

Candidates for the senate races include:

* Agriculture: Chris Benson, junior in animal science; Matthew Bormann, junior in agricultural business; Sarah Low, sophomore in public service and administration in agriculture; Shawn Peck, senior in agricultural studies; and Richard Prestegard, freshman in agricultural business.

* Business: Patra Brannon, freshman in pre-business; Scott Burkhart, junior in accounting; Joel Norton, sophomore in business; Jeremy Peterson, junior in management information systems.

* Engineering: Daniel Johnson, freshman in mechanical engineering; Michael Schaefer, sophomore in construction engineering; and David Sims, senior in mechanical engineering.

* Family and Consumer Sciences: Brook Brindley, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production; Stacie Dunlap, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production; Shu Tosaka, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution management; and Jennifer Vansteen, freshman in nutritional science.

* Interfraternity: Matt Ostanik, senior in architecture-professional degree.

* Liberal Arts and Sciences: Adam Brown, junior in biology; P’Angela Haynes, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communications; Kathryn Kallaher, freshman in psychology; Brooke Langlitz, junior in pre-journalism and mass communications; Stephen Medanic, senior in physics; John Mertins, freshman in pre-computer science; Madeline Moore, sophomore in political science; Brooke Sergeant, freshman in political science; Chris Yoars, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication; and Demissie Zewditu, junior in genetics.

* Nontraditional: Jim McCurdy, sophomore in microbiology.

* Off Campus: Phillip Burgmeier, junior in construction engineering; Justin Hillock, sophomore in pre-professional health programs; Patrick Kuehn, senior in agricultural education; Sarah Novey, junior in chemistry; Cynthia Schoenfeld, senior in political science; Gregory Tew, senior in aerospace engineering; Chris Thome, junior in mechanical engineering; Nick Weltha, junior in management information systems; and Christopher Wisher, senior in pre-business.

* Panhellenic: Lindsey Severson, sophomore in political science; Emily White, junior in psychology; and Lindsay Wright, sophomore in community and regional planning.

* Richardson Court Association: Jennifer Larson, freshman in genetics and Amber Schuur, freshman in pre-architecture.

* Towers Residence Association: Andrew Kothenbeutel, junior in genetics.

* Union Drive Association: Charles Johnson, sophomore in political science and Roberta King, freshman in family and consumer sciences.

* University Student Apartment Community: Jason Shenton, sophomore in computer science.