GSB committee votes to cut Veishea financing request by $20,000

Wendy Weiskircher

Veishea may see substantially less student money than it did last year if the Government of the Student Body approves a financing proposal.

The GSB Finance Committee will recommend to the senate that funding for next year’s Veishea celebration be less than one-third of the Veishea Committee’s proposed budget.

In the proposed budget, which was submitted to the Finance Committee at the allocation hearing Feb. 12, Veishea representatives requested $32,279. The Finance Committee will recommend to the senate that $10,259 be allocated to Veishea.

The major cut was from the request for printing and advertising money. Because of Veishea’s recurring violation of GSB financing rules, almost $10,000 in printing and advertising was denied, said Jeremy Williams, GSB finance director.

According to the bylaws, student groups must acknowledge GSB backing on printed materials and advertisements that circulate outside the organization.

“We’ve had problems with this and Veishea for two or three years, and last year, we gave them a penalty,” Williams said. “They still haven’t been putting it on everything this year.”

After the penalty is assessed, the next step in the bylaws is to cut advertising and printing for the organization, Williams said.

“That’s just our rules,” he said. “It’s in the bylaws.”

Justin Wilhelm, Veishea co-chair, said GSB financing is vital for the annual spring celebration. “It’s really important that we get more money,” he said.

Wilhelm added that for the most part, most of this year’s Veishea printed materials comply with GSB bylaws.

“The great majority of things had [‘Funded by GSB’ printed] on them,” he said. “We have some inexperienced people and only so many editors, and when we get to crunch time, some things slip through.”

Another $5,000, which was requested for open-house electricity expenses, wasn’t recommended for the proposed Veishea budget. The open house allows student organizations to set up displays of information about their group.

“We have given money to Veishea for electricity for the open house so they don’t have to charge student groups as much,” Williams said.

He said the Finance Committee also receives requests from student groups for the open-house electricity expenses. The committee didn’t want to pay for the event twice, so the $5,000 wasn’t recommended for the budget.

About $7,000 also wasn’t recommended for miscellaneous items in the Veishea budget, bringing the amount cut from Veishea’s funding request to $22,000.

The Finance Committee almost voted to zero-fund Veishea but settled on the cut in Veishea’s request.

After two weekends of hearings, the Finance Committee still has another weekend of allocation hearings ahead. The committee recommendations will be submitted for senate approval March 22.

“We will probably lobby the senate for more money,” Wilhelm said. “We need the money to get done what we need to do.”

During the last four years, GSB has allocated between $21,000 and $28,302 to Veishea. Last year, Veishea requested almost $34,000 and received $21,714.