Online community unites students

Estrella Medina

It allows college students across the nation to find out which classes to take or avoid, which professors are good and bad, read about college-related issues, locate new roommates or find a ride home.

Not only does Collegeclub.com boast a membership of over a million registered students, it also offers buddy lists, instant messages and an array of different clubs and chat rooms.

“Collegeclub.com keeps students connected and creates a forum for communication,” said Collegeclub spokesperson Laura Evenson. “While Collegeclub.com provides the national services, it also brings the localized depth with tailored sites for more than 900 major campuses across the United States.”

Collegeclub.com, which also provides a free e-mail and voice mail service, recently acquired Collegestudent.com, a local online campus community.

With the new addition, the Web site will increase its features to include class and professor ratings, a student-run online magazine, local databases for housing and roommates, tutor locators, ride boards, free classified and personal advertisements and a student organization Web page builder.

The Web site also maintains a strategic relationship with the National Association of Collegiate Stores, which represents more than 95 percent of nationwide college stores. Collegestudent.com is the exclusive NACS-endorsed college Web site.

“The best feature that Collegestudent.com brings to the Collegeclub membership is the depth of content for individual campuses,” Evenson said. “No other site provides this kind of customized content and commerce for individual campuses.”

Collegeclub’s membership has been traditionally stronger on the West coast, and now has representation on more than 5,800 campuses.

“We will certainly continue our presence in other leading colleges and universities,” Evenson said. “With the acquisition of Collegestudent.com, our distribution should become more geographically balanced.”

Collegestudent.com has also recently acquired eStudentLoan, a resource in the student loan market. It is the only Web site that allows users to quickly and easily compare terms of several different loans in order to determine the best solution.

Combining these different features into one Web site provides any college student a handbook right at their fingertips, Evenson said.

As for the new changes, Evenson added that the Web site will continue its mission to serve college students across the country.

“We’re dedicated to providing students with the very best services, and this acquisition enables us to bring even more services and merchandise,” she said.