More than one voice on four-week break

Rebekah Dassion

To the editor:

Although John Woods feels I should “shut up,” discussion usually entails more than one viewpoint.

I am sympathetic to the faculty’s desire for a longer break; if more time truly helps them to be better and more prepared instructors, it would be difficult to argue against it. The students who would like more time to relax and be with their loved ones are also justified in their support of a longer break.

However, there is one viewpoint that has not yet been heard. Every student does not have a place to go for break. For those of us with dysfunctional, abusive or broken families, breaks simply serve as a painful reminder of what we do not have. Some students no longer have beds at home, no longer have family with whom to spend holiday time.

I dreaded breaks before my parents’ divorce as it meant returning to constant arguing and even verbal abuse. I have spent the last few vacations sleeping on the floor in my mother’s apartment.

I am not asking for pity; I am not asking that breaks be altered simply to accommodate me. Most students find happiness and peace over breaks, and they deserve that gift. However, I do believe that I am not the only student who has dreaded breaks, and I believe that this perspective should be heard and taken into account.

Rebekah Dassion

Senior

English and Spanish