Volunteer fair to showcase 25 community agencies

Bridget Bailey

ISU students have an opportunity to lend a helping hand to their community by attending the Spring 2000 Volunteer Fair.

Twenty-five locally run volunteer agencies from Ames and throughout Story County are scheduled to assemble from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union for the fair.

Fair organizers said it gives ISU students a chance to get involved in the community.

David Carnes, president of the Volunteer Placement Center, said the volunteer fair is a great opportunity for all ISU students, and he encourages attendance.

“It is a great way to get to know the community agencies. A lot of people are apprehensive about contacting them, and this atmosphere gives them a good opportunity to do so,” said Carnes, sophomore in elementary education.

A few of the organizations students will have a chance to talk with include the American Red Cross, Ames-ISU YMCA, Mary Greeley Medical Center and Meals on Wheels. Representatives will be on hand at each booth to answer questions and give information about how to get involved.

Steve Sapp, faculty adviser for the volunteer fair, also promotes learning about the various organizations.

“The fair offers great opportunity to learn about all of the organizations,” said Sapp, associate professor of sociology. “Most students really enjoy getting involved in the community, and it is a great way to learn.”

The event was organized by Carnes, Sapp, Angela Bisanti, sophomore in art and design, and Jen Spencer, senior in journalism and mass communication.

For more information about volunteering and getting involved in the community, visit the Volunteer Placement Center in the East Student Office Space of the Memorial Union or contact the center at 294-5254.