GSB considers vote to oppose bill banning alcohol in dorms

Wendy Weiskircher

The controversy at Iowa State surrounding a proposed Iowa Legislature bill to ban alcohol in both private and public university dormitories has taken on another dimension.

The Government of the Student Body has joined the Inter-Residence Hall Association in its disapproval of the Legislature’s bill.

“This is prohibition for people who are supposed to be tomorrow’s leaders,” said Jonathon Weaver, TRA, author of the bill. “They are saying we’re not responsible enough while in college to learn, set priorities and be academic.”

Rep. Rosemary Thomsen, R-Marion, wrote the resolution at the center of the heated debate. According to the bill, “a person shall not possess or consume alcoholic liquor, wine or beer in an undergraduate dormitory.”

“Students have a right to feel safe where they live,” Thomsen said. “They shouldn’t have to trip over people passed out in the hallways or bathrooms.”

Thomsen maintained that the presence of alcohol poses a threat to the academic environment, making studying in the dorms difficult.

“I was in college, too,” she said. “If there is a party right next door when you are studying for a test, what do you think you are going to do?”

Senators who oppose the ban do not take issue with alcohol’s place in university dorms. Instead, according to the GSB bill, “It is apparent that, in writing this legislation, student opinions were not considered, and student leaders were not consulted.”

“I feel the issue here is that a ‘one size fits all’ mandate is the wrong way to approach this,” said Steve Skutnik, LAS. “This is taking sovereign power away from the university and the students, saying that we can’t handle the problem, so they will handle it for us.”

IRHA was the first ISU organization to take action against the proposed ban. Bill Wychulis, Towers Residence Association president, spoke on behalf of IRHA at Wednesday’s senate meeting.

“Basically, we are looking for your support,” he said. “This is more than an IRHA issue, and it’s very important to us.”

The proposed ban would put student responsibility in question, some senators said.

“College students are responsible, contrary to popular belief,” said Andrew Tofilon, LAS. “It’s another attempt by the Legislature to say students shouldn’t have the right to make their own decisions. The fact that we’re in college shows we’re smart enough to make our own decisions.”

When the legislation was written, Thomsen said, the well-being of post-secondary students was the focus of consideration.

“We looked at academics, cost, health and safety,” Thomsen said. “Let’s make our post-secondary institutions institutions of learning and of being responsible.”

Under the proposed bill, even students of legal drinking age living in the residence halls would face penalties if they were caught with alcohol in their dorm rooms.

“It’s crazy,” said Rick Cordaro, UDA. “They’re trying to suspend our civil liberties. It’s insulting to every student in the residence halls and anyone with a sense of responsibility.”

The ban, Weaver agreed, may be an incorrect way to approach the problem of alcohol in dorms.

“It seems like this was an issue brought about the wrong way,” he said. “Deal with the people who are drinking illegally instead of making it illegal for more people to drink. [The ban] isn’t getting to the root of the issue.”

However, the House resolution supporting the ban was written to protect the majority, Thomsen said.

“A lot of people are out of the dorms by the time they are 21,” she said. “We look at what is best for the most people.”

The bill will be discussed at the GSB meeting on Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. State representatives, including Thomsen and two co-sponsors of the House resolution, will be on hand to discuss the proposed ban and answer questions.