Grade reports will be online

Patrick Breheny

Due to the success and widespread use of AccessPlus to check semester grades, Iowa State will no longer mail grade reports to students over the holiday break.

Instead, ISU Registrar Kathleen Jones said all students will be able to view their grades beginning Dec. 22 on AccessPlus.

“This has been a trend in large universities across the country as electronic information services have been improved,” Jones said about the new system, which started this semester.

Jones said posting grades on AccessPlus has advantages over mailed grade reports, such as speed and accuracy.

“It’s a faster way for students to get grades, and the information is current,” she said. “Students can see updates as they happen in our database.”

In addition, Jones said, the change will save the university money.

“When you figure the postage on 26,000 pieces of mail, it’s a pretty good chunk of cash,” she said.

Most students said they will be unaffected by the change.

“It doesn’t matter to me. This way my parents can’t see them,” said Jessica Loge, junior in elementary education.

Other students expressed concern for those unable to access the Internet, but few seemed to be personally inconvenienced.

“If I couldn’t get onto AccessPlus, it would suck, but I can, so I don’t really care,” said Michael Behrens, junior in aerospace engineering. “Why waste paper?”

Since its development, Jones said AccessPlus has grown to include more student functions, such as authorizing the release of financial aid and registration. She said more than 81 percent of students used AccessPlus to register for classes this semester.

“I think that it’s more efficient that way,” said Katie Reinhart, undecided freshman, “but it might be an inconvenience for people who don’t have their own computers.”

However, anyone who still wants a mailed grade report can have one by requesting it in 214 Alumni Hall, Jones said.

“We will mail grade reports to any student who asks for them,” she said.