World AIDS Day remembered with speaker, shrouded statues

Heidi Jolivette

Tim Clark, who is living with AIDS, shared his personal experiences and opinions about how the disease has affected his life as part of Wednesday’s national Day Without Art observation.

During his presentation, Clark, who tested positive for HIV six years ago and still carries the results of his test with him, urged people to get tested and to practice safe sex.

Clark spoke at the Brunnier Museum to more than 80 people Wednesday evening. His presentation was part of World AIDS Day and Day Without Art, in which five statues on the Iowa State campus were covered in remembrance of the victims of AIDS.

“This has affected my whole life. I don’t want anyone else to go through what I have. Be smart. Do what you can today,” said Clark, who is a resident of Iowa.

His immune system, which has rebuilt itself from around 8 percent, is currently at 14 percent. He takes 31 pills a day and pays more than $600 a month in medical bills.

“You totally have to live by a set schedule. [The medicines] tear you up. They make your stomach hurt; they make your body hurt,” Clark said.

Although there is a slight risk of catching a cold or virus from the audiences to which he lectures, Clark said he started off in public speaking because he wanted to help people become more comfortable with the idea of HIV/AIDS. The risk didn’t bother him.

“You take risks every day. I’m not going to seclude myself,” Clark said.

Randy Mayer, research and evaluation coordinator for the Student Health Center, was on hand to talk about the services available to people with HIV/AIDS or who want to get tested for HIV in Iowa.

Mayer said there are 12 testing sites in Iowa that report to the state, and 212 HIV positive cases were reported last year.

He also said the Student Health Center offers free HIV testing on Wednesday afternoons and all day on Fridays. Appointments are not necessary, and the results take about a week.

“If anyone suspects that they may be infected, it’s important to get tested soon,” he said.

Mayer explained that the sooner one is tested, the sooner one can receive treatment.

The Student Health Center also offers free condoms, which are in a basket on the second floor of the center.

Stephanie Albrecht, senior in fine arts and member of the Textiles and Clothing 257 class that helped cover the artwork on campus, enjoyed the opportunity to listen to Clark.

“I was impressed that they got him to come,” Albrecht said. “It was nice to see his own perspective on it because in Iowa, we don’t see a lot of people affected by AIDS.”