Forum will consider ‘Visions of Veishea’

Genelle Nissen

Veishea planners want to move beyond the debate over a dry celebration to more constructive discussion about its future and what can make it successful.

In order to do that, the Veishea Committee is holding “Visions of Veishea,” a forum open to all students tonight from 6:30 to 7:30 in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“The question I want to ask is what can we do to make it better and bring it back to the students,” said Sarah Piziali, forums director for the Student Union Board.

The forum will have four chairs who will say what they believe the future of Veishea is, answer any questions students might have and be available for open discussion.

The chair members will be Veishea co-chairmen Justin Chesnut, senior in agricultural systems technology, and Justin Wilhelm, senior in mechanical engineering; Jason Shenton, chairman of the Government of the Student Body interim rules for Veishea committee; and Ben Golding, president of Engineering Student Council.

Piziali, senior in chemical engineering, said she does not want the forum to focus on “dry Veishea.”

“I think that’s old news,” she said. “We need to go somewhere instead of fighting about it being dry.”

Shenton, senior in chemical engineering, said he hopes he can be a useful resource for students at the forum.

“I want to listen to the sentiment everyone has toward the celebration and be there to answer any ambiguity of the rules,” he said.

Golding, senior in chemical engineering, also hopes he can clarify anything unclear about the annual event.

“In my opinion, Veishea is resolved,” Golding said. “I want to be there to answer any questions.”

Piziali said she hopes students will come and express their views without being negative.

“It is obviously going to be alcohol-free, so what are we going to do to make it better?” she asked.

Piziali said she thinks the event can succeed with student input.

“I think Veishea lost its spirit a long time ago, and I think Iowa State students probably have a few ideas on what they want Veishea to become,” she said.