K-State students tour MU

Genelle Nissen

Iowa State’s student office spaces are being held up as a model for another university.

Students and faculty from Kansas State University visited the Memorial Union Wednesday morning to get ideas on how to create their own student office spaces.

“You have a successful student activities model,” said Gabe Eckert, student body vice president at Kansas State, about the ISU facilities.

Eckert said ISU and Kansas State are very similar because they are both land-grant universities and have about the same number of students enrolled.

When Kansas State started looking at different universities’ student office spaces, ISU was one of colleges representatives decided to visit because of the way it works for ISU students.

Eckert said he believes the most exciting thing about ISU’s office space is that there are many different students interacting and working together there.

“The Student Activities Center seems to bring together a diverse group of students,” Eckert said. “We hope to apply some of the concepts we’ve learned at K-State.”

Ryan Sievers, vice president of the Student Union Board, said it’s common for colleges to visit each other and get new ideas.

“Unions in general keep in pretty good contact with each other,” said Sievers, senior in anthropology. “It’s really just sort of a learning experience.”

Sievers said ISU’s office spaces stand out because they were renovated a few years ago, they are centrally located, and they house more organizations than most universities.

He also said the facilities at ISU are better than most.

“All the amenities that we offer really go above and beyond what most student office spaces offer,” Sievers said.

Benefits include computer labs in both the East and West Student Office Spaces, meeting rooms, additional storage space and professional staff.

SUB is in charge of all of the student office spaces.

“I think one of the key things is that it’s run by students,” Sievers said. “All policies, applications and contracts are student-generated.”