GSB execs reach out to students in town forum

Wendy Weiskircher

To give Iowa State students and Ames citizens an opportunity to express their ideas about current issues affecting the university, Government of the Student Body executives have organized an informational town meeting.

The forum takes place today from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union.

Taking action on their campaign promises, GSB President Matt Craft and Vice President Garrett Toay will be on hand to answer questions and hear input about GSB-related issues.

“We want to find out what’s on the minds of Iowa State students,” Toay said. “Anyone who has a thought or opinion on Iowa State or GSB is invited.”

Similar forums are planned throughout the spring semester to give the public the opportunity to ask questions and voice opinions on a regular basis.

“A lot of people got worked up about Veishea, and they didn’t know who their senators are,” Toay said. Not only will the forum give students a voice, but it also will give them a chance to become acquainted with the top GSB executives, he said.

“This will let people put a face with our names,” Craft said. “We want to make ourselves open and available to people.”

Craft and Toay will open the forum with short speeches; then the floor will be open for questions and comments from the audience.

Current hot topics, such as electronic voting, Veishea and student fees are expected to be addressed, although any topic is open for discussion, Toay said.

Craft said student ignorance of the purpose and actions of GSB probably was a major factor contributing to the 6 percent voter turnout at last year’s GSB elections. Events such as the town forum are aimed at increasing student awareness and participation in GSB.

“People don’t understand how GSB operates or what it does,” Craft said. “This is another opportunity to go out and tell people instead of sitting back and waiting for them to come to us.”