ISU student arrested, charged with assault of Des Moines woman

Kati Jividen

An Iowa State student was arrested Saturday evening in Storms Hall and charged with assaulting a young woman from Des Moines, Department of Public Safety officials said.

Robert Alan Chamberlain, 21, 8415 Wilson Hall, is accused of assaulting Ini-Abasi A. Augustine-Akpan at 11:15 a.m. Friday morning in a residence hall room in Storms Hall.

An arrest warrant was obtained for Chamberlain, freshman in pre-computer science, after Akpan reported the incident to DPS.

Chamberlain was taken into custody and transported to the Story County Jail Saturday evening about 8:21 p.m.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS, said when Akpan reported the assault a little after 11:00 a.m., she appeared to have been involved in an altercation.

“When Akpan reported the assault, she had a very large bump on the right side of her forehead and was complaining of pain,” he said.

Akpan, 21, reported that the bump occurred after a verbal argument escalated into a physical assault, Stewart said.

“The victim alleged Chamberlain struck her forehead with his knee and threw her against a refrigerator,” he said. “She additionally alleged he knelt on her chest twice while she was on the floor.”

Akpan was transported to and released from Mary Greeley Medical Center.

“[Akpan] said she knew the person who assaulted her because he is a cousin of her best friend,” Stewart said.

Stewart said assault is a serious misdemeanor punishable by a fine or up to one year in jail.

“As is normally the case, this matter will be referred to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary action,” he said. “This is in addition to the [charges through the] criminal justice system.”

Grace Weigel, director of Judicial Affairs in the Dean of Students Office, said if the student is found guilty, he would be disciplined according to the ISU student handbook.

“If there is sufficient evidence in a case, university charges will be filed against the student,” she said. “If the student is found responsible for the violation, university sanctions can range from disciplinary reprimand to suspension as listed in the student handbook.”

Chamberlain declined comment.