GSB works to clarify student rules for Veishea

Wendy Weiskircher

Student and administrative leaders have come together in a joint effort to review the rules for the Veishea pledge.

After the Government of the Student Body passed a resolution to support a “safe, multicultural and alcohol-free” Veishea celebration, an ad-hoc committee was formed to meet with the administration to discuss the pledge.

As a temporary committee, the Interim Rules for Veishea Committee members expect to conclude their business in about three weeks.

“The mission of the committee is to determine if any further revisions need to be made to the Interim Alcohol Rules for Veishea,” said Jason Shenton, USAC senator and chairman of the committee.

The latest revisions to the rules, drafted by Shenton, were a product of conversations with Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs. The revised rules were approved by GSB last week.

The committee consists of Shenton, GSB President Matt Craft, GSB Vice President Garrett Toay and other members of the senate. In addition, the Veishea co-chairs, Justin Wilhelm and Justin Chesnut, received open invitations to join the committee, Shenton said.

The revised edition of the Interim Rules for Veishea will stand unless other revisions are deemed necessary, Shenton said. For a subsequent revision to replace the current rules, it must be approved by all five student governments.

Hill is acting as the liaison between the committee and the administration, Shenton said.

In working with the committee, Hill said he hopes to find out what the students would like to see included in the rules.

“Hopefully, we can give [the students] a good explanation of the rules, because there seems to be some misunderstanding,” he said. “We want to find out what the students want.”

Since the committee was formed to give students a role in establishing rules that will affect them, input from the student body is encouraged, Shenton said.

“Anyone who has intelligible suggestions to help clarify or improve the nature of the Interim Alcohol Rules for Veishea pledge should send us an e-mail,” he said.

Students can be informed about the pledge and the committee by visiting its Web site at www.public.iastate.edu/~guardian. Any suggestions or input can be submitted by sending e-mail to [email protected].