GSB takes hard line on Veishea resolution

Wendy Weiskircher

The Government of the Student Body will face two resolutions tonight that — if passed — would reaffirm the Veishea pledge.

However, one of those bills includes a formal statement to Iowa State administrators expressing GSB’s disappointment that it has to vote on the pledge at all.

The pledge, adopted in 1997 in response to alcohol-related violence, mandates a “safe and alcohol-free Veishea,” according to the resolutions.

The senate will vote on the original resolution, and the new resolution will be introduced and most likely voted on next week, said GSB President Matt Craft.

“The second resolution also reaffirms the Veishea pledge, but it goes into more detail,” he said.

The difference between the resolutions is a resolve clause added to the second resolution. The clause states that GSB rejects the way the administration has issued, either explicitly or implicitly, an ultimatum to the GSB and other campus organizations.

“Continuation of the Veishea celebration is contingent on the approval of the GSB and other campus organizations,” according to the resolution.

Craft said both resolutions still say GSB supports a dry Veishea weekend.

“Basically, some senators want a safe and alcohol-free Veishea, but they don’t like the way the administration makes us ask for it every year,” he said.

Garrett Toay, GSB vice president, said he realizes GSB’s support of a dry Veishea may not be a popular decision with some students.

“Veishea will never go back to the way it was,” he said. “Twenty-five years from now, we want to be able to bring our kids back to Veishea instead of saying we killed it when we were students.”

The decision to support the dry Veishea was based on more than preserving ISU tradition, Craft said.

“A lot of people forget that a 19-year-old kid [Harold ‘Uri’ Sellers] was murdered,” he said. “Something has to change.”

Craft said he expects to see one or neither of the resolutions adopted.

“I highly doubt both will be approved,” he said, adding that members of GSB are divided on the issue.

“Some are in favor of the first resolution; some are in favor of the second resolution; some don’t like either,” he said. “If both are voted down, and we can’t come up with a middle ground, the future of Veishea could be in doubt.”

Toay said students need to think about the future of Veishea rather than any injustice they feel may have been bestowed upon them.

“We realize it may not be popular right now, but in the long run, it is the right decision,” Toay said. “Why throw away a 78-year-old tradition for two or three days of an alcohol-fest?”

GSB will meet tonight at 7 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union to discuss the following:

Old business

• A bill allocating $400 to the Ames Bond program, sponsored by Freshman Council, which pairs out-of-state freshmen students with local families. The money would fund a presentation of the program and a tailgate party for the participants. By Nash.
  • A resolution to reaffirm the Veishea pledge, prescribing a safe and alcohol-free Veishea celebration. By Golding.

New Business

• A bill requesting funding to the Iowa State Triathlon Club to hold a fund-raising triathlon event. By Cordaro and DeKoster.
  • A resolution supporting a safe and alcohol-free Veishea, which reaffirms the Veishea pledge while objecting to the manner in which the administration issued its ultimatum to GSB and other campus groups. By DeKoster, Tofilon and others.