Clubs face loss of MU office space

Genelle Nissen

After missing the deadline for turning in Student Office Space contracts, seven student organizations may be booted out of the Memorial Union after Friday.

Last April, the Student Union Board sent out contracts to all of the student organizations that received office space in the basement of the Memorial Union. The contract was a new process that SUB implemented to ensure that organizations uses the space properly.

“The contract is an agreement of trust,” said Ryan Sievers, vice president of SUB. “We wanted to ensure the place isn’t trashed or used for commercial purposes.”

Sievers, senior in anthropology, said some of the groups were using their spaces in inappropriate ways, and they needed to be given written statements instructing them on what they can or cannot do.

Sievers said the groups that do not get their contracts in by this Friday will have their offices reassigned. Ten groups are on the waiting list for office spaces.

Lisa Kratz, program manager of the Memorial Union, said seven organizations still have not turned in their contracts: Adult Student Scholarship Fund, Alpha Zeta, Fall Blood Drive, Gospel Soul Innovators, MANRRS (Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences), Alpha Lambda Delta with Phi Eta Sigma and Caribbean Student Organizations.

The original deadline for the contracts was May 7. SUB then postponed the deadline until May 30, and eventually the deadline was pushed to Sept. 30.

Sievers said SUB expected to have some problems with the deadlines.

“We knew we’d hit a snag with the transition of student leaders,” he said. Because of this change in leadership, Sievers said SUB was relying on the help of group advisers.

This was the first year implementing the new contract, so Sievers said he knew it would be a little “rocky.”

The groups took longer than SUB expected to get the contracts in, though. “The staff and I were very surprised at the lack of response,” he said.

As of Sept. 28, only about 50 percent of the contracts were turned in. Of the nearly 500 student organizations at Iowa State, SUB only can house about 70 organizations in the Student Office Space.

Greek Week Central just turned in its contract Monday. Brian Tenclinger, adviser of Greek Week Central, said the group was all new to the process.

“I’ve only been here a year and a half, and we have a whole new crop of students,” he said.

If any spots are left after the cuts are made, other clubs will be selected by past history, number of students served and amount of space needed and by weighing the clubs’ overall needs, Sievers said.

“We’re trying to eliminate bugs this year to make it an easy process next year,” he said.