Board of Regents to decide fate of students’ pocketbooks

Andrea Hauser

Students at the three state universities will find out what size tuition increase they will face next year after the Board of Regents, State of Iowa meeting this week.

A 4.3 percent increase was proposed during the September regents meeting and will be voted on today or Thursday at the board’s monthly meeting in Iowa City.

“I still have some questions,” Regent Dave Neil said. “I’m looking forward to the [University of Northern Iowa] student presentations on Thursday.”

Although ISU will be represented by members of the Government of the Student Body, the students will not be giving a presentation to the board.

“We don’t have the opportunity to speak since we had already covered the fee proposal,” said Matt Craft, GSB president. GSB representatives gave a presentation arguing against the tuition increase at the Sept. 16 meeting.

Craft said members of GSB have sent the letters to all of the regents and will be attending the meeting on Wednesday and possibly Thursday.

Neil said regents also have received letters from student leaders at University of Northern Iowa and UNI, both voicing their opposition to the 4.3 percent tuition increase. He said he has not heard any response from students at the three universities besides the letters.

“It’s been real quiet; I haven’t gotten any calls,” he said.

Craft said students at ISU are thinking about the tuition increase and the possible separation in student fee and tuition payments.

“[Students] seem to be more concerned over the fee increase,” he said.

Craft said it is unclear how the tuition vote will turn out.

“I’d imagine a lot of … regents have thought about it over the month and have already decided their vote,” he said.

Neil said he still is considering how he will cast his vote and mentioned a letter he received from a non-student about the 4.3 percent increase.

“It said tuition has outstripped wage increases for 10 years, and I totally agree with that,” Neil said. “But you can’t drive it from that aspect all the time.”