Artistic expression, cultural performances converge at Caf‚ Au Lait variety show

Genelle Nissen

Students looking for a taste of culture can find it tonight at the Memorial Union.

The first Caf‚ Au Lait of the year will be held in the Maintenance Shop at 7:30 p.m.

Caf‚ Au Lait is a variety show filled with cultural performances organized by the Student Union Board.

It was started about 10 years ago as a joint effort between SUB and members of Iowa State’s international community.

An evening of Caf‚ Au Lait could include entertainment ranging from poetry readings to belly dancing to folk music. There’s usually about six to 10 performances in one night.

Tonight’s performance will feature an Indian flute recital, ballroom dancing, belly dancing, a guitar and vocal performance and a reading of a Mexican folk tale.

Priya Kothari, multicultural director for SUB, said not only international students may attend or perform in Caf‚ Au Lait.

“The event is open to anyone,” said Kothari, junior in management information systems. “Students of all backgrounds can come and perform for anyone interested.”

Jamila Pree, graduate assistant with the programming department of the MU, used to be the multicultural director for SUB.

She said that in the past, students have been very receptive to the event.

“Sometimes there is even audience participation with events like ballroom dancing,” she said.

One thing audience members can be assured of are diverse performances, Pree said.

“The biggest draw [to Caf‚ Au Lait] is the variety aspect,” she said. “In one evening, you get to see so many examples of artistic expression.”

Kothari said she hopes to attract students as well as members of the Ames community to the event.

“I’d like people to come and relax and see the variety of talent displayed,” she said.

The event is held once a month in the M-Shop.

Admission is free, and refreshments are provided.