S. Earl Thompson award presented to ISU prof

Julie Rule

The educational leadership and policy studies department chairman was recently presented with the S. Earl Thompson award.

John Schuh, professor of educational leadership and policy studies, was recognized for his work in the student housing field.

The S. Earl Thompson award is given once a year by the Association of College and University Housing Officers to a person or organization that has played an important role in housing but is not a housing administrator, Schuh said.

“It is an acknowledgment of his contributions, not only in student affairs work, but as one of the leading authors of residence halls work,” said Larry Ebbers, associate dean of educational leadership and policy studies in the college.

Schuh has written monographs on student learning in college and university housing, as well as a book on campus learning and student housing, which is coming out this fall.

He also has written articles for the Journal of College Student Development and the Journal of College and University Housing.

“To the best of my knowledge, I probably contribute more to literature and research on housing than just about anybody,” Schuh said.

Schuh was the director of residence life for Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind., and the associate vice president for student affairs at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kan., before coming to Iowa State in 1997.

“He’s one of the real leaders in the student affairs field, especially in the area of residence halls,” Ebbers said. “We are very pleased to have the caliber of John Schuh on our faculty.”

Schuh said he sees the award as a great accomplishment for someone who does not work in student housing.

“I’m feeling very honored and grateful to the association,” he said. “It means a lot when professional colleagues value your work.”

Schuh also was recently recognized by the association as one of the top 15 people in the nation who have made contributions to residence halls.

“He is really viewed as leading scholar, not only in residence halls, but also student affairs assessment,” Ebbers said. “He is known as a very prolific writer.”