Williams brings experience to GSB job

Nina Fox

Most members of the Government of the Student Body cabinet are new to their positions this year, but one member just can’t get enough of his job.

Jeremy Williams, senior in pre-business, is serving his third term as GSB finance director — a tenure he said has been very educational.

“On a whole, GSB has taught me a lot more than I would ever learn in the classroom,” Williams said.

“I’ve learned a lot about people skills, negotiating and overcoming the fear of speaking in front of a large crowd,” he said.

Williams said his experiences with student government also have taught him how to debate.

“When you’re at a finance hearing, you have to be formulating a whole argument for issues,” he said.

Williams began his GSB involvement as a senator representing Towers Residence Association during his sophomore year.

He served on the finance committee his junior and senior years, and he became the finance director in 1997.

He currently is studying finance at Iowa State, but he has already earned a degree in computer engineering.

This year, Williams will oversee an 11-member finance committee and will meet with numerous student groups and organizations during the semester to negotiate the money they will receive from GSB.

“In past years, we have given out more money than we can afford, and so we have to always keep a balance,” he said.

The GSB budget is $1.3 million, which is distributed to between 150 to 200 student organizations.

Williams doesn’t make decisions as an individual, but he advises the committee members.

“I’ll chair the meetings and make sure things are kept running, but the committee has a lot of input,” he said.

Williams also sits in on the student fees committee, which funds operations and facilities such as the Lied Recreation Athletic Center, the Memorial Union and CyRide.

Working 20 hours a week, Williams said he finds his job mostly enjoyable.

“It’s a stressful job, especially during the finance hearings, which affects your school and social life for about three to four weekends straight, but it’s unique, and I think it’s great training,” he said.

“It’s getting me prepared.”

Williams said one of his main concerns for GSB is keeping its members motivated throughout the year.

“What sometimes happens is students’ motivation starts fading at the end of the semester, and we really need a president who will encourage them to keep it going,” Williams said.

“We know what we have to do, and we have to be focused on just that,” he said.

He looks forward to working with the new GSB president and vice president, Matt Craft and Garrett Toay.

“I placed both of them on the finance committee for two years, so I’ve worked with them before,” Williams said.

“They’re both great guys, and I think they’ve already done a great job in getting students’ interests in perspective,” he said.