Campus leaders recall memories

Nina Fox

Editor’s note: For the final edition of the year, Daily reporter Nina Fox interviewed some of her past “10 Questions” subjects .

What was your favorite memory this year, and what are your plans for this summer?

Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety — “I will remember the 1998-99 school year as one that had another safe Veishea, and I will remember this school year as the year that the women’s basketball team received the credit it well deserved.

“For the most part of my summer, I will be working. I do own some woods in northeast Iowa and hope to spend some time there this summer.”

Aimee Lee, Veishea Central Committee co-chairwoman — “Of course, every Veishea event was my favorite this year. The best times were working — or playing solitaire or playing jokes on people who leave their e-mail open — in the office and hanging out with so many cool people.

“This summer, I will be starting my new job as a sales trainee for Novartis Seeds in Springfield, Ill. I will also be suffering from post-Veishea depression.”

Scott DeSotel Veishea Central Committee co-chairman — “My favorite memory this year is when I saw one kid, while [I was] riding in the Veishea parade, three times. He ran across campus each time so he could get more candy.

“This summer, I will be working full time for Novartis Crop Protection as a sales representative.”

Laura Bestler, assistant director of Student Activities — “My favorite memory this year — it is hard to pick out just one … I have four.

“First, watching the members of LEAP [Leadership Enrichment Action Program] developing the organization/program at the spring retreat. Secondly, Freshman Council’s January executive board retreat was a riot. Third, the ASSF [Adult Student Scholarship Fund] picnic was wonderful. Finally, Veishea — the cold, the parade, Cy’s Big Top and seeing all the great student leaders at the recognition banquet.

“This summer my fianc‚ Lonnie, my cats and I are moving from Boone to Ames; I am going to many NACA [National Association for Campus Activities] leadership meetings and getting ready for all of the students to come back in August.”

Dave Haden, program assistant for the Dean of Students Office — “My favorite memories of the year all involve the fantastic students whom I have had the pleasure to work with through our Substance Abuse Prevention Peer Program and the student groups which I advise.

“I’ll probably spend the summer teasing Laura Bestler about the huge number of hours that she will spend standing in lines waiting to watch the ‘Star Wars’ movie a couple of dozen times.”

Judy Dolphin, director of the Ames/ISU YWCA — “My favorite part of the year in my life was that my first grandchild was born this year by my first daughter. With YWCA, I think my favorite part was the successful completion of a pilot project we started in January called GIRLS power. That stands for Genuinely Intelligent Rambunctious Leaders.

“For this summer, I leave next Monday with 15 students on a biology field trip to four countries in Europe. My husband will be leading the trip to the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria for three weeks.”

Bryan Burkhardt, Government of the Student Body president for the 1998-99 school year — “My favorite memory of this year was being able to meet so many interesting people in my position in GSB.

“This summer, I will be in Des Moines doing computer work for the Pasta Factory, and they feed me really well.”

Neelika Jaywardane, president of the Student Union Board for the 1998-99 school year — “My favorite thing this year was finishing grad school with a 4.0 and knowing where I will go with a Ph.D. I know that I have financial stability for the next few years.

“This summer, I’m taking an advanced French course at the University of Denver because I have to do a translation from another language for a Ph.D. And I will be in Illinois doing some gardening and exercising with a friend. So, I’m looking forward to a summer where I can take a fun course and get out a little bit.”

Dennis Ballantine, chief of police for Ames Police Department — “I think there are two things that were great about this year. First, it was a great Veishea despite the cold. And overall, we had a good group of students.

“This summer with the Iowa Games and the Iowa Special Olympics we’ll be busy, but I hope to get some golf in if I can. I also have a daughter getting married.”

Stewart Burger, director of dining services for the Department of Residence — “My favorite part of this year was going to New Orleans during the spring for a jazz festival. That was nice because it was cold here and 86 degrees there.

“This summer, we’re going to be very busy with conference groups. We’ll have around 25,000 people coming in, and that should be fun. And we’re also having a new computer system installed.”