SCS helps stressed students

Mendy Gray

If term papers, presentations and exams become too much for Iowa State students to bear, the Student Counseling Service has a program that can help.

The Student Counseling Service, in conjunction with the Wellness Center, offers a workshop addressing stress and techniques that can be used to reduce it.

The workshop will be held from 2 to 3:30 p.m. today and next Thursday in Room 2305 of the Student Health Center.

The workshop addresses a different topic each week and offers ways to help reduce students’ stress levels, said Paulette Stronczek, outreach programs coordinator for the Student Counseling Service.

“For example, we may talk about the stress caused by test-taking and then show students muscle-relaxing techniques that can help them reduce their stress level — it’s very interactive,” Stronczek said.

Stronczek said the sessions are open to anyone who wishes to participate.

“This is not a therapy group,” she said. “Anyone can come, and you don’t need to sign up.”

Spring semester is the busiest time of the year for the Student Counseling Service, Stronczek said.

As the semester winds down, many students are feeling the pressure of approaching paper and project deadlines, which increases students’ stress levels, she said.

Many ISU students complain about feeling stressed. And Lindsay Byers, sophomore in microbiology said she, too, is feeling the strain of the end of the semester.

“Papers are the big thing right now,” Byers said. “I also have a lot of labs this semester, so there is always a lab report due.”

One trick that helps reduce stress is efficient time management, Stronczek said, but students should not forget to schedule time for fun and breaks.

“The least-stressed students are those who plan ahead, but don’t forget to have fun,” she said.