Hawthorn Court singles disapprove of relocation

Archana Chandrupatla

Single students living in Hawthorn Court have expressed concerns about whether the university will be able to relocate them after the complex is torn down this summer. But Department of Residence officials maintain the situation is not as crucial as some students perceive it to be.

Bruce Hansen, Hawthorn Court representative for the University Student Apartment Community, said at this time Iowa State is helping married students and students with families to relocate.

“Married students are currently being moved into Schilletter Village and University Village,” he said.

Hansen said single students should not be worried about finding a new residence because there are options available for them.

“I believe they are being taken care of. There are options for each and every single student if they are willing to take them,” he said.

“We are helping them to relocate to other dorms for single students, as well as getting them into these apartments that will be built here after the apartments currently at Hawthorn Court are taken down,” Hansen said.

Carl Moen, director of USAC, said ISU is doing everything possible for single students. He said the situation between married families and single students should not be hostile.

“In Hawthorn Court there are many more families than single students. I don’t think it’s a single vs. family issue,” he said. “What’s happening is that there are not enough spaces for all of the single students.”

Moen said the university has asked the single students about their future living preferences. “Some single students expressed an interest in relocating to University Village. We dealt with them through an application process,” he said.

Gary Schwartz, associate director of Residence, said single students are encouraged to move into dorm rooms rather than pursue placement in university apartments. “We are giving priority in University and Schilletter Village to families first,” he said.

Schwartz also encouraged students to communicate with the administration about their concerns.

“If they need assistance we will work with them individually to accommodate them,” he said.

Rob Wiese, program assistant for Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs, said he talked about the situation with Zina Ellis, a single student living in 1456 Hawthorn Court. “We got the idea that the single students are not being relocated from the conversation with Zina,” he said.

Ellis made presentations before the Off Campus Council and the Government of the Student Body last week to voice her concerns about single students in Hawthorn Court.