Hall will give college ‘much needed room’

Kati Jividen

The completion of Howe Hall, the first phase in the College of Engineering’s latest plan, is scheduled to be finished in early fall.

Although it is unlikely that classes will be held there at the beginning of the semester, Dave Holger, associate dean of the College of Engineering, said various departments, offices, teaching and research labs and services will relocate to the new building.

“[Howe Hall] will be the home of the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics,” he said. “Engineering Distance Education will move from the Engineering Annex, and CIRUS [Center for Industrial Research and Service] will be moved from the research park to be housed in that building.”

The construction of Howe Hall, also known as the Engineering, Teaching and Research Complex (ETRC), is taking place in two phases.

The second phase is scheduled to begin in early 2000 after the demolition of three separate buildings between Bissell Road and Marston Hall.

“The Engineering Research Institute, Exhibit Hall and the Engineering Annex will be demolished before the construction can begin,” he said.

Construction on Phase Two will be across from Howe Hall, allowing the college to expand to both sides of the street.

James Melsa, dean of the College of Engineering, said the Marston water tower will remain standing.

“It is a nationally historic site, and it would be painful to remove it,” he said. “Landscape will be done to make it more attractive.”

Along with the demolition of the three buildings, additions to Phase One, such as a wind tunnel and a high pressure storage pit, also will be added.

Melsa said Howe Hall will provide “much needed room” for research activities.

“There will be several new interdisciplinary sites for undergraduates,” he said. “We are looking at an automation lab where two to three departments will be using the same laboratory.”

The format of teaching in the new classrooms will be more student- based, as opposed to teacher-based, Melsa said.

“In teaching-based, you focus on one person standing in front of the classroom like a play,” he said. “It should be the students’ job to do the learning.”

The College of Engineering choose Howe Hall as the name of the new building after Helen and Stanley Howe donated $6 million to the college.

“They were significant donors, but [Stanley] is one of our outstanding alums,” Melsa said. “He is very successful in his career.”

A name for the second engineering complex has yet to be determined.