No easy entry for underage bar hoppers

Kati Jividen

Underage Iowa State students who want to enter bar establishments will have to pack their bags, transfer schools and begin cheering for the Hawkeyes or Panthers.

The possibility of admitting minors into local Ames bars is “like letting a fox into a chicken house,” said Ames Police Chief Dennis Ballantine. “It creates a bad image and puts us more at odds with the students.”

In Ames, an ordinance prohibiting minors on certain premises was enacted in 1991 after the “Over 18/Under 21 Ordinance” failed in 1990.

The Minor on Certain Premises Ordinance states that it is unlawful for a holder of a liquor license or permit to allow minors on the premises when more than 50 percent of the business is conducted in the sale or dispensing of alcoholic beverages.

It also states that it is against the law for any employee of such an establishment to knowingly permit or fail to “prevent the entry” of any and all persons who are not 21 or older. Violation of the ordinance results in simple misdemeanor charges.

The only time a minor can be on the premises is when permission is received from the police chief.

“There is a 14-point guideline that bar owners must meet in order to have the underage person there,” said Sgt. Randy Kessel of the Ames Police Department. “If this is not followed, the facility can get a charge to their liquor license.”

Because of the many requirements, most local bars seldom attempt to admit underage students.

“We don’t allow minors in the bar after 8 p.m. unless it is an all-ages ticketed show,” said P.J. Doran, bartender at People’s Bar and Grill, 2428 Lincoln Way. “We can’t allow underage with those of age because we don’t want mixing, and we don’t want them to sneak drinks.”

Ballantine said he and the City Council decided to try the “Over/Under Ordinance” because students complained “there wasn’t anything to do in Ames.”

“We experimented to see how [the] ordinance would work, but it died with its own weight,” Ballantine said. “We arrested hundreds for drinking because people [of age] were buying pitchers and giving it to [those who were underage].”

The establishments that participated in the trial run, including Cave Inn, 126 Welch Ave., and Destination, 300 S. 17th St., were required to have legal customers wear bright, colored wristbands, while minors received hand stamps to make sure there was no access to alcohol.

Sharon Wirth, Ames City Council Member, came into office in January 1990, when the test period was almost over.

“The police staff was not happy with the underage violations such as the difference in monitoring and enforcing,” Wirth said. “We gave them a fair chance to handle it responsibly, but there were too many violations to continue.”

The test period for the ordinance lasted 10 to 12 months, but the issue has not been raised since its completion, Ballantine said.

“I am not sure how the council would react to this today, but I continue to be against the [Over/Under] ordinance,” Ballantine said. “Even with [the] ordinance, people still go to private parties because the beer is cheaper.”

Iowa City’s Administrative Assistant to the City Manager Lisa Handsaker said the state of Iowa has a law stating that 18-year-olds can enter a bar or tavern where half of their business is in the sale of alcohol.

“The law remains that way unless the city restricts it,” Handsaker said. “We haven’t done anything in Iowa City to make [the law] different.”

The general manager at The Fieldhouse Restaurant and Bar in Iowa City believes that minors should have the right to enter a bar.

“You have every other adult privilege at 18, so why can’t you have a beer?” Mike McConnell asked. “Everybody knows that there are at least 1,000 ways for a minor to drink without ever going into a bar.”

The University of Iowa does not allow alcohol on fraternity or sorority grounds, so some students use their access to the bars as a way to socialize.

“You meet a lot of different people at the bars,” said Matt Redshaw, junior in athletic training at U of I. “I have had the chance to meet a whole diversified group of people. I also get to hang out with the older students in my classes.”

Cedar Falls also admits 19-year-olds into bars.

“Everyone is IDed at the door and stamped with either a minor or legal stamp,” said Mike Pruin, who is an employee of Shagnasty’s Dance Club in Cedar Falls. “This is one of the hardest places to use a fake because we take five to 20 fakes away a night.”

Pruin said Cedar Fall police officers walk through the dance club to catch minors who are drinking.

“[If caught], they get a ticket,” Pruin said. Aside from the police officers, 15 bouncers and the bartender look at the stamps throughout the night.

Although underage Iowa Staters may complain about not being admitted into the bar, some students concede that any type of admittance could cause problems.

“I think it would create a lot of problems because people think that once you are in a bar, you can automatically drink,” said Megan Thompson, sophomore in business. “I would take advantage of it myself if it were offered because you always look forward to doing things before it’s legal.”