GSB President Burkhardt plans to make a difference

Nina Fox

Editor’s Note: “10 Questions” is part of a weekly series in which Daily reporter Nina Fox interviews a prominent person at Iowa State. To suggest a person to interview, send an e-mail to www.daily.feedback.edu. This week’s interview is with Bryan Burkhardt, president of the Government of the Student Body.

What do you do as president of GSB?

I’m technically the official representative of the students of Iowa State University. I represent them fully — and the aspects regarding the Board of Regents and issues regarding the administration — and try to help run an effective student government by soliciting the opinions of senators and students who like to try to get things accomplished on campus.

How do you think GSB has made a difference in everyday university life?

Well, I think Iowa State University is very much a better place because of the students. In fact, it wouldn’t be around if the students weren’t here.

But I also think that students need a place to focus their energy and focus on what they’d like to see accomplished at Iowa State, and student government is the best place to do that. [GSB] helps focus their ideas and needs, and we can direct them accordingly. In some cases we can make them happen ourselves, and in other cases we can channel them to the administration so they can help take action.

Do you think students have a positive or negative image of GSB?

I think it depends; it’s on a case-by-case basis. There are certain times where I think we can do no wrong in helping represent students, but there are also times when we’re not going to please everyone, and we understand that.

There are times, though, we can help represent all the students when it comes to keeping tuition affordable, [and] when it comes to making sure we fairly spend money. It may not be in the best interests of every student group, but as long as we try to maintain a fair and accurate way of doing so.

How do you think you and [GSB Vice President] Jamal [White] have been doing this year as far as being successful in attaining your goals?

We’ve been staying out of a lot of negative press, as far as that goes, we haven’t received much negative press … which we’re thankful for. I’d have to say there’s a lot of things going on, and Iowa State is always happening and the students of Iowa State are always on the move. So it’s a fun challenge for us to always try … to figure out what’s going on among students and what their needs are. I think we’ve done a fairly good job of addressing those thus far.

It’s not an easy job, and it’s one we’re trying to do our best at and try to work at everyday. It’s going to be a challenge for the rest of the year to … continue to do so.

How did you react when the recent GSB members quit?

It was a wake-up call not only for the current senators to realize and make sure they were devoting the proper amount of time to GSB, but at the same time to get students involved in GSB — to make sure the students knew what was going on in GSB and how much of a commitment it is those senators to help represent the students.

We actually seated four senators last week, and so we’re cutting down the number of vacant spots. But we always want to make sure we have good communication among students and their senators so we can fairly and accurately represent the students.

Have you always been interested in government?

Since, I guess, junior high, high school, I’ve taken various roles of student government. I came to Iowa State solely thinking about computer engineering and actually picked Iowa State because of its academic program in engineering.

One reason I got interested about halfway through my sophomore year, was because I wanted to run, and I thought that I could make a difference. I really enjoy being at Iowa State, and I love being and working around people and definitely wanted to do something outside of engineering to help share the loyalty to Iowa State. It was actually my freshman year that I ran as a GSB senator.

What are your goals this year for GSB?

Oftentimes it can be difficult to sort out priorities between class work and GSB. GSB work is a lot more enjoyable just because like I said, I enjoy talking to people, I enjoy being around people and sometimes when you’ve got to bear down and do homework or work on the computer problems … it’s not nearly as rewarding at times.

Other goals that I have are to make sure that I continually reflect and make sure that we represent the students. Also, I am very much committed as co-chair of the George Washington Carver Celebration Committee to making sure that we provide opportunities for students this year that they otherwise didn’t have.

At any public system of higher education, and especially at Iowa State, I want this to be a special year. It’s already been a special year for me, and I think that every student is entitled to it.

What activities are you involved in for the George Washington Carver Celebration Committee?

As Carver chair, I’m co-chair of the Carver Committee so I help facilitate with Murray Blackwelder. The entire university celebration, working with and encouraging student groups to help promote it through various events and also working with other departments and faculty members to help publicize it and make sure we have a year of Carver, to help celebrate his legacy and inspire students to become their best.

How have certain issues or conflicts helped you in your job?

I very much think that I’m growing as a person, by every day that I come into the office and every day that I’m here. I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s the truth.

A lot of these experiences that I have … give me a chance to reflect on who I am and really what I believe and also how I can help represent others in the position that I’m in.

From an academic standpoint, my schedule can be a really chaotic and other times it isn’t, and it’s sorting out those free times in there, making sure that I try to stay sane. It is often a challenge but a fun time as well.