Learning without hearing

Angela Bartley

Imagine having no way to communicate with the people around you except via a pen and a pad of paper.

Welcome to the world of Guowei Yang, senior in art and design. He is one of 10 deaf students at Iowa State.

Deaf students encounter many challenges that the average student does not. However, Yang faces challenges beyond those of other deaf students.

“The challenges that I face are not only being deaf, but also being an international student,” Yang said.

Yang is from China, and he did not know any English before he came to the United States. Unlike most deaf students, Yang cannot read lips, but he can read and write in English.

Wherever Yang goes, so does a pad of paper, and he “talks” by writing notes.

Joyce Packwood, program coordinator for Student Services, said the number of deaf students at ISU has increased tenfold in the last five years. In 1993, the university had only one deaf student enrolled.

“[The increase] could be due to the fact that ISU is the No. 1 land-grant university, and it does its best to serve all students,” Packwood said.

ISU provides interpreters for all deaf students, and Yang has three who attend his classes with him.

“Among them, one interpreter, Allison Colby, is my best friend,” Yang said.

Colby has been Yang’s interpreter since spring semester of 1998.

“During this time, we have built a level of trust and friendship,” Colby said.

While Colby is required to attend classes with Yang, her responsibilities do not end there.

Yang is an intern for Engineering Animation Incorporated, and as with any other job, he was required to interview before being hired. Colby went with him and supported him through the whole process.

“We were so nervous,” both Colby and Yang said.

Colby said the job can be difficult at times, but her high level of patience and good attitude help.

“All you can do is laugh,” she said. “I’m sure it is very comical to watch us writing back and forth to each other.”

Colby attended the American Institute of Business and received an associate of arts degree in court reporting. She communicates with Yang by typing, because even though Yang knows both American and Chinese sign language, Colby knows neither.

Colby brings a laptop computer with her to all of Yang’s classes. She not only types everything the professors say, but she also tries to recreate the atmosphere of the room by writing jokes that students tell and any whispering that goes on.

Because Yang is in all upper-level courses, Colby must do some studying herself for each class.

“I don’t mind [studying] at all — I love to learn,” Colby said.

In fact, Colby said her favorite part of the job is attending classes.

“The job gives me the opportunity to attend classes that I probably never would have taken, and for free,” she said.

Colby said she will miss Yang, who will be graduating this year, because they have become such good friends.

“He is such a talented person, and I admire him,” Colby said. “When I think of my problems, they seem minimal compared to what Yang goes through every day.”

Colby and Yang said ISU students are interested and supportive of deaf students.

“He is not looking for any pity, he just expects respect,” she said. “Just think of him as Guowei — that is all that he is asking for.”

Yang said he would encourage other deaf students to study at a large university such as ISU.

“[Deaf students’] mental ability is not different because they are deaf,” Yang said.

Colby said most students are fascinated and curious about her and Yang, and they ask for demonstrations of how the computer works and copies of her notes.

Yang said he feels Americans are very friendly.

“I really appreciate the support that ISU gives me,” he said.

Yang said he would especially like to thank Packwood for her hard work.