International student wins free trip to South Padre

Tara Deering

Most Iowa State students planning their spring break vacations are concerned about money, but one international student’s main concern Friday was finding a companion to accompany him to South Padre Island.

Abhijat Vatsyayan, graduate student in aerospace engineering, found out from a phone call Friday morning that he was the winner of a spring break trip for two to South Padre Island, sponsored by Coca-Cola.

By 5 p.m. Vatsyayan was presented with his prize in the Food Court of the Memorial Union, and the presentation was broadcast over Hot105 KCCQ.

The vending promotion was part of Coca-Cola’s Jamfest ’98. ISU was among 16 colleges in the United States chosen for the promotion.

Kathy Svec, program director of the Memorial Union, said Coca-Cola, with which the Union has a contract, is great to work with. She said she was “ecstatic” that Coca-Cola had extended the promotion to the Union.

Vatsyanan, who is from India, said he had gone to the Union to get a sandwich when he noticed the entry box for the spring break giveaway. He said he and his friend registered for the prize, but until the phone call Friday morning, he had forgotten all about it.

Even though winning the trip to South Padre Island changed Vatsyanan’s spring break plans of going to the Grand Canyon, he said he is excited about the trip.

“I have never been to South Padre; in fact, I didn’t even know it existed,” he said.

Svec said she thinks Vatsyanan will have a great time on the trip.

“It’s going to be a great experience for any student, but especially for an international student,” Svec said. She said this is the second year in which Coca-Cola has given away a spring break trip.

But Vatsyanan said he hasn’t decided whom he’s going to take on the trip with him. “I’m still looking for a person to take on the trip,” he said.