Faculty Senate debates promotion and tenure

Jenny Barlow

Iowa State’s Faculty Senate may have elected a new president-elect Tuesday night, but discussion continued on the ongoing promotion and tenure document.

William Woodman, professor of sociology, said ISU is one of the few universities dealing with the issue that hasn’t reached a consensus.

“Our problem is our fear of change and inability to trust on this issue … I’m afraid the Faculty Senate is going to become a laughing stock if we don’t work this out soon,” Woodman said.

Brian Cain, professor of mathematics, defended his amendment which omits all citings of the comprehensive peer review in the promotion and tenure document.

“I’m appalled by this [review], so the amendment that will do away with the review is a very good one,” John Robyt, professor of biochemistry and biophysics, said.

A vote was taken over Cain’s amendment which ended in a 26/26 tie. Woodman voted against the amendment so the issue could be further debated.

Dean Ulrichson, professor of chemical engineering, was elected president-elect in an election that included candidates Jack Girton, assistant professor of zoology, and Suzanne Hendrich, professor of food science/HN-FCS.

The three candidates gave speeches and then were questioned by members of the senate.

Ulrichson will replace former President-Elect Woodman.

Departmental senators and at-large positions will be elected sometime this spring. The Faculty Senate will be accepting nominations until Feb. 2.

In other news

• ISU Provost John Kozak announced a search for a new director of academic computing to take the place of its former director George Strawn. It is expected that Strawn will remain in Washington for another two years.
  • A department budget resolution was presented to the senate, which is expected to be discussed and put to a vote at the next meeting.
  • Christina Pope, associate professor of history, brought forth an amendment to the senate that included a 90-minute limit for faculty senate meetings unless a two-thirds vote prolonged the assembly.

The next Faculty Senate meeting on Feb. 10 will be held in the Scheman Building at 7:30 p.m.