Ag professor wins Oklahoma State award

Jenny Barlow

David Williams, professor of agricultural education at Iowa State, has received Oklahoma State University’s 1997 Distinguished Agriculture Alumnus Award for his work with “experiential learning.”

“It was a great honor to go to my alma mater and get this recognition,” Williams said.

Williams is a leader in research dealing with hands-on or “experiential learning” and has done much writing on the subject.

His work has changed the way many people teach and has been used by high school teachers in the United States and in 12 countries abroad.

He trains students in extension teaching for adults and implements methods in his classroom for his students to use later.

Williams is also in charge of the Ag 450 farm, where students make the decisions about how to run the farm.

“I have been involved in bringing new ideas into the agriculture department and giving students experience in the areas they will be teaching later,” Williams said.

Williams came to ISU 23 years ago after working as a secondary school teacher. He became head of the agricultural education department in 1983 and from 1992-1997 worked as the assistant dean of ISU’s College of Education.

Currently, Williams is a member of the faculty of the department of agriculture.

Williams helped establish and is a current member of a committee on agricultural education that provides input for national decisions.

He also works with other agencies outside the university concerning environmental education.

He has won numerous awards in the past, including the American Vocation Association Educator of the Year Award in 1992.

“The Distinguished Alumni Award was handled very nicely,” Williams said. “I was invited to participate in the baccalaureate graduation at OSU to give the students an idea what alumni have done and challenge them as they begin their jobs.”

Williams is one of two recipients of the award from his alma mater this year.