RCA building sees facelift

Brandy Hirsch

Canopy covered entrances, eight-foot chain link fences, and signs stating “Caution: Men Working Overhead” welcomed residents of Maple Hall last weekend.

On Aug. 12 incoming residents were sent a memo warning them of what to expect.

Maple Hall was built in 1967, and of the 272 rooms there are 139 with deteriorating exteriors.

The deterioration of the caulking allowed moisture into the precast concrete panels, which resulted in the concrete cracking and sprawling.

The study done by Rietz Consultants Ltd. found that the fan coil units that are used to heat and cool the residents have developed condensation leaks, which also allows moisture into the walls.

They also found that steel anchors connecting the panels to the concrete flooring system have deteriorated.

Phase one of a three part plan is under way with new anchors at the base of the precast panels.

Work has begun on removing the damaged concrete and replacing it with a formed-in-place high strength polymer concrete system. Steel angles and bolts have also been installed to make sure there is no slipping of the panels and to meet code requirements.

“The work we are doing to improve the integrity of Maple Hall’s exterior will ensure the safety of the students who will arrive on campus in the fall,” James R. Judy, assistant director of Facilities Planning and Management, said.

Judy said the work will continue through a portion of the fall semester.

“While there will be some noise, the work shouldn’t be a significant nuisance to Maple Hall residents,” he said. “The building’s interior is safe.”

Damaged roof flashings will also be replaced during phase one.

He said there will be a further study of the building’s condition and other needed repairs for Phase one. Phase one is expected to cost $350,000. It is hoped this initial phase will be finished by early December.

“It is important to realize that this work has to be done or the precast panel system will continue to be susceptible to ongoing deterioration,” Judy said.

Phases two and three will look into water entry in the wall system, the removal and replacement of windows and also the heating and cooling equipment. Maple Hall will also need a new roof.

Phase two is anticipated to begin after the spring semester in 1998.

Before construction can begin, the consultants’ recommendations must be approved by the university and the Board of Regents. Willow, Larch and the Commons have also been examined.

Larch Hall has minor cracking and sprawling in the rib section, Judy said.

“Repair work will be done on Larch Hall and the Commons, possibly as part of the Maple Hall renovation project,” Jedy said.